Como dizer "Chimarrão" em inglês

Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Português: Chimarrão
Inglês: Mate, a kind of tea made from mate

Exemplos:
  1. Mate, also known as chimarrão, is a traditional South American infused drink. It is prepared from steeping dried leaves of yerba mate (llex paraguariensis, known in Portuguese as erva mate) in hot water. It is the national drink in Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay, and drinking it is a common social practice in parts of Brazil, Chile, eastern Bolivia, Lebanon and Syria. In Brazil, it is considered to be a tradition typical of the “Gaúchos”, name given to those born in Rio Grande do Sul.
  2. Mate is a South American tea-like drink made from leaves of a South American holly called mate.

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Toc, toc...

And what's the difference between this one and chá mate?
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Flávia,

Para mim, a forma de preparo do "chá mate" difere da do "chimarrão"; fazendo com que o sabor, por exemplo, não seja igual. Apesar do fato de que a matéria-prima seja a mesma.

Vamos aguardar os gaúchos....
Thomas 7 62 296
Very few Americans have ever heard of erva/yerba mate. If you are going to use the word among English speakers, explain it so that you will be sure it is understood. Among the few who drink it, without question, they use the vocabulary in Spanish: bombilla , and mate. Outside of Brazil, I've never heard an English speaker use bomba, cuia, erva, portacuia, etc. For chimarrão I would suggest "unsweetened yerba mate". The problem with "bitter mate" as a translation for chimarrão is that (1) the term in South American, and (2) it's not truly bitter, just unsweetened. That's something else to remember, erva/yerba mate consumed outside Brazil is usually sweetened.

I've consumed erva/mate in Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, and several other countries where few people know what it is. I have a collection of cuias, bombas, mateiras, guampas, etc. that would make a Gaúcho cry in envy. I picked up a leather covered thermos in Asunción that is the envy of Larissa Riquelme. No, she can't have it. Every nationality in the "Cone" of South America thinks that it knows the best and right way to prepare it. It's like churrasco: who makes the best churrasco depends on who is speaking to you.
My dear friends I wouln't like to be mean, but I guess it would be pretty much better preseving the sense of the word by saying "chimarrão" considering the fact chimarrão is made differently and tastes too. Peace out everybody!