Como dizer ''Como não?" em inglês

Usamos esta expressão 'COMO NÃO' quando estamos conversando e discordamos de alguém.

Ex: Aqui em São Paulo não tem tanta poluição como você está dizendo - Cara, Como não, olha o que você está falando.

A estrada não está tão ruim como você falou - Como não, olha a buraqueira na estrada.

A comida não tem tanta gordura assim - Como não, olha com seus próprios olhos a quantidade de gordura que tem aqui.

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Sugestões:

1. What do you mean "there isn't?"
2. What do you mean "isn't as bad"?
3. What do you mean "doesn't have"?

Bons estudos.
Daniel Reis 2 16
Olá pessoal,

Seria possível usar o "how come not?"

Exemplo.

A: I can't swim.
B: How come not? Weren't you a professional swimmer 10 years ago?

Valeus
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Good morning, HEZEKIAH.
How do you do?

We often use the question "What?" in a stressed and long way in order to emphazise how much we disagree with something or someone.
However, depending on the situation, it could be considered impolite because the listener may think you do not believe him / her or even you are making jokes to the subject. Anyway I must confess it is hard to swallow our anger so it is great when we can resort on humor. :)

The expression "como não?" (question) is an example of Portuguese cacophony and double entredre.
I believe we should say "como assim?", which the corresponding English expression is "what do you mean (by that)"?

You should read this:
cacofatos-em-ingles-t48424.html

EXAMPLE 1:

- Here in São Paulo, there is no such pollution as (the way) you are speaking about / as you say (informal).
- Aqui em São Paulo não há tanta poluição como você está dizendo.

- What? [What did you say, man? / What are you saying? (informal) / What do you mean? / What are you babbling about? (informal)]
- Como assim, cara? / Olha o que como está dizendo?

(Sometimes there is no need to translate every word because the idea has been already understood at first).

To babble about

(1) To utter a meaningless confusion of words or sounds.
Pronunciar palavras ou sons sem sentido; sem nexo.

(2) To talk foolishly or idly; To chatter.
Falar baboseiras ou coisas sem sentido; tagarelar.

EXAMPLE 2:

- The road (BrE) / highway (AmE) is not so bad as you told me.
- A estrada (de rodagem) não está tão ruim como você falou.

- (1) What do you mean? Look at these (pot)holes!
- (2) You mean what? (informal). Look at these holes in the road!
- (3) What? This road is full of holes! / This road looks like a Swiss cheese! / This road is so bumpy.
- Como assim? Olha a buraqueira na estrada!

Pay attention to the word "buraqueira". We have different meanings here:

1. It is not a sleek asphalt. We may have an upset stomach if we go on a trip on this bumpy road.
Este asfalto não é liso. Viajar com essa buraqueira na estrada pode causar um embrulho em nosso estômago.

2. One of its favorite food are burrowing beetle grubs that hide themselves within the trees.
Uma de suas comidas prediletas são as larvas buraqueiras de escaravelho que se escondem dentro das árvores.

EXAMPLE 3:

- A comida não tem tanta gordura assim.
- The food is not so fatty.

- Como assim? Veja com seus próprios olhos a quantidade de gordura que tem aqui.
- (1) How's that (possible)? Look closely at the quantity of fat we have here. / Look closely at this quantity of fat.
- (2) What do you mean? See this amount of fat with your own yes.
- (3) What? We have a lot of fat here.

You should read:
como-dizer-ver-com-os-proprios-olhos-em ... 19938.html

I hope we've helped.

So long,

Ricardo.

REFERENCES:
(1) COUSINS, A.D. Utopia - The Literary Encyclopedia. The Literary Dictionary Company. Macquarie University. January 3rd, 2008.
(2) HICKEY, Raymond. A Dictionary of Varieties of English. John Wiley & Sons. 2013.
(3) Pearson Education. Longman Dictionary. 2004.
(4) European Comission. The protection of geographiccal indications and designations of origin for agricultural products and foodstuffs. In: Official Journal of the European Union. Date: 19-03-2010. Link: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 038:EN:PDF
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
I don't recommend the expression how come not either.
However, we could say:

How come? (informal)
- expression used to ask how or why something has happened.
- expressão utilizada para perguntar como ou porque algo aconteceu.

Ex.: So how come you missed the train?
Então como que você perdeu o trem / acabou perdendo o trem?

Ex.: "We had to stop in Birmingham." "How come?"
"Nós tivemos de parar em Birmingham". "Por quê?" / "Como isso foi possível?" / "Como assim?"

REFERENCES: Cambridge Online Dictionary.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Seria possível usar o "how come not?"

Exemplo.

B: How come not? Weren't you a professional swimmer 10 years ago?
"How come not?" é incorreto. Mesmo para dizer "como não?", "por que não?", o uso adequado é "how come?"

B: How come? Weren't you a professional swimmer 10 years ago?
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Hi All,

I know this is an old topic and, though, I'm not sure if I'll get an answer. I still think it's worth trying.

What I've been looking for is slightly different from the meaning of this topic. I am wondering how to say "como não" in sentences like this:

"Como não se apaixonar por uma pessoa assim?"

May I say like the sentence below?

"How come not to fall in love for such a person?"

It sounds OK to me, but I couldn't find any similar sentence on the internet to make sure it's right, therefore, I would really appreciate any reply.

Many thanks.
Leonardo96 19 293
1031bruno escreveu: 19 Jan 2020, 09:14"How come not to fall in love for such a person?"
Usar "how come" nessa frase assim nao me soa correto e natural, nao.

Sugestao:

How could you possibly not fall in love with a person like that?