Como dizer "cortar a frente" em inglês

Hello

Is there an expression for "cortar a frente"? Cortar a frente de um carro, nas ruas, estradas e rodovivas.
Thanks
Samoa

Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
11 respostas
Thomas 7 60 288
Just a guess. My post will have to be confirmed.

To cut in front of someone (another car)
To cut someone (another car) off

I was in front of a FIAT and behind a VW. Suddenly a jerk in a Chevrolet cut in front of me. Now the Chevrolet was behind the VW and I was behind the Chevrolet. At the next signal, the guy in FIAT got in front of the VW, cutting us all off.
Thomas,

cut off é parar alguém bloqueando o caminho.

Se for no sentido de "levar uma fechada", a expressão será CUT IN.
Já li usarem a expressão "cross my way" no sentido de tomar uma fechada. Mas o certo é cut IN.

abraços.
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
No, a car driver may intentionally cut another driver off. I offer the following suggestion.

Yes. "To cut in ahead of" as in, "That driver abruptly cut in ahead of another one. The driver he abruptly cut in ahead of jammed him from behind." To cut in ahead of (a car) = to overtake and pass sometimes forcefully and without signaling.

"To cut (a car, a car driver etc.) off" = To abruptly or suddenly cut in ahead of another car usually with no warning, no signaling, sometimes with total desrespect for the other driver. Don't we see that a lot in Brazil?

"Tota constantly raced and industriously cut all other drivers off. He never signaled his intentions. He would do a lot of abrupt lane-changing. His wife misses him so much. Every year she slowly drives to the cemetery to pay homage to him."

"They succeeded in passing a bill prohibiting car drivers from cutting off other drivers. Those who insist on cutting other drivers off now 1) have their driver's license revoked and 2) spend 15 years in jail with no parole."
to cut in - to drive past a vehicle and move quickly in front of it in a dangerous way

to cut off - to stop someone from going somewhere, especially by blocking their way - synonyms: stop

O "cut someone off" é o "cortar relações" lá do outro tópico.

Bem, eu estou dando o significado Norte-Americano, se no inglês britânico há diferenças, desde já, peço desculpas, mas, no EUA, são essas expressões q vejo e q estão utilizando. ;)
Daniel.S 1 2 7
Hi there!

cut in

Take care,

Daniel
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
Thomas 7 60 288
"Rhodes said the Jeep was speeding, driving aggressively, changing lanes and cutting off other drivers."
Sentinel - 12 April 2007

Both cutting in front of someone and cutting off someone interfere with the forward motion of other drivers, but I've certainly heard "to cut off" to mean to get in front of another vehicle and disrupt its forward movement without necessarily forcing the second car to stop. Think about the above quote. If the Jeep was "speeding, driving aggressively, (and) changing lanes", how on earth did it stop multiple drivers on a main highway? Come to think of it, if Car A cuts in front of Car B, in some circumstances it could force Car B to stop or not to proceed. I don't see a major difference between the two expressions.

If you don't like my answer, please do not cut me off or cut in front of me if you see me in traffic. We can negotiate.
Thanks a lot guys!

I had a look at the the expressions you have suggested and the most common seems to be "to cut in".

Best,

Samoa
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
Samoa, I drive carefully. Do not cut off or cut in ahead of other drivers. If you have to do it, don't!

If you wish or need to overtake and pass another vehicle, always audibly signal your intention or momentarily flash your headlights well in advance. In order to make things easy for you, a conscious, overtaken driver should then leave enough room for you to overtake and pass. He or she may even slow down for you to do it safely.

You will likewise facilitate things for other overtaking drivers (namely those who wish or need to overtake and pass your vehicle). Behind an overtaking driver lies the notion that he or she rushes because 1) one of his or her terminally ill family member may die at any moment at the hospital, 2) as an ER doctor he has to arrive at the hospital in time for a surgery and/or 3) someone now chases him/her not only on a need for speed basis but with the sole intent of snuffing him or her out. So he or she has to forcefully put the pedal to the metal. Anyway, you never know why Johnny races so much. And you wouldn't care much if he does. So let Johnny go. Do not race and try to overtake and pass him. Johnny won't like it.

You might have a different opinion as far as car overtaking and passing goes, in which case please share it with us. Your motivation for learning English as a second language will thank you.
Thomas escreveu: If you don't like my answer, please do not cut me off or cut in front of me if you see me in traffic. We can negotiate.
hahahahahahahahaha
:lol:

Take it easy!!!!! ;)
Thomas 7 60 288
Sissi, I am very happy I made someone laugh today. Normally, people just laugh at how bald I am.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
Well Márcio, I agree with you. Everything that you wrote would be beautiful if people were more polite. The problem is that sometimes there are very slow drivers that think the roads belong to them and everybody has time for a 40km speed. For example, I live in the country of a region where the tourism sector is very important. Linking the country region and the town centre there’s a state road with very few areas in which you can overtake other vehicles. Several times I needed to go to work and there were these slow drivers (most of them tourists, but many distracted people as well) who didn’t “facilitate” the things. I’m a very calm person so I prefer to wait than cut them off. However, I know that many people aren’t patient or can’t wait and need to cut in because of their appointments. Anyway, what I mean is that sometimes “turtle speed driver’s” can be as dangerous as the fast drivers who cut in other people.

I also found:
Cut obj up (BrE)
Cut off/ cut obj off (AmE)
I got/was cut up several times on the motorway this morning.

Source: Cambridge International Dictionary of English
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!