Como dizer "De grão em grão a galinha enche o papo" em inglês

You start at the bottom and work your way to the top.

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
15 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
2 5 28
Hi, guys!

Let me just add that, although they exist, none of those proverbs are as common (in English) as "de grão em grão" is in Portuguese. Most of the time, we just say that we need to do something little by little. So we might say something like...

Little by little, you can take your English to the next level this year.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
Bruno, can it be: "grain by grain, the hen fills her belly"? I know it's literally, but I think it has the same sense.
OI Leandro,também concordo é bem literal e não me recordo de ter ouvido nenhuma expressão como tal,mas eu queria ver se haveria alguma expressão comum que tivesse o mesmo significado.Vamos esperar...
Hi, folks!

Como sugestão há a expressão:

Little strokes fell great oaks.

"Prov. You can complete a large, intimidating task by steadily doing small parts of it. Jill: How can I possibly write a fifty-page report in two months? Jane: Just write a little bit every day. Little strokes fell great oaks" . Ou seja, de grão em grão a galinha enche o papo ou ainda devagar se vai ao longe.

Há ainda: Great oaks from little acorns grow

Ref. idioms.thefreedictionary

Cheers,
I asked to some american persons, and they've never heard this expression (grain by grain, the hen fills her belly), but they heard a lot of times that one (You start at the bottom and work your way to the top), and they thought a little about my expression and said it's very similar! So I think yours is better!
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
7 62 296
"You start at the bottom..." refers to beginning a career in a humble position and slowly rising to a position of power and authority.
23 127 1.7k
Vejam 'No Item 9 do artigo no link abaixo':

Cf. 13 frases com expressões equivalentes
1 2 21
Adding: Penny and penny laid up will be many.
2 5 28
Acabei de usar uma expressão e lembrei deste thread aqui. Slowly but surely também é uma opção.

Ref. idioms.thefreedictionary

Slowly but surely, you can improve your English.
You fill a bucket drop by drop.
POWER QUESTIONS
6 49 1.3k
I like the one Donay has referred to:
Little strokes fell great oaks

There is also: look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

Another that could be applied to many general situations:
Many a little (or pickle) makes a mickle - though I´ve learned that it should be "many a pickle makes a muckle" because "a muckle" meaning would be a large amount, whereas "a mickle" could be both a large amount and a small amount of something (Scottish usage per explaining of a collaborator of stackexchange.com ). So, one word with opposite meanings, as happens with the Brazilian "absolutamente" (meaning "sim" or "não").
6 49 1.3k
And finally, close to our Brazilian ubiquitous "de grão em grão a galinha enche o papo." in the sense of patiently working towards something (or meanings close to it): "little by little does the trick". So, not only applies to savings, finances, etc, but to pretty much everything that can be achieved gradually (e.g. Working with patience).

It worth pointing out - to the hasty ones: Rome wasn´t built in a day.
6 49 1.3k
Just clarifying: "Working" inside the parenthesis should be with small-cap W, that is - a "w", but the program had it 'corrected' (uncorrected) every time I edited. :-)
Encontrei dois provérbios em inglês que eu diria que podem ser equivalentes a essa expressão em português que seriam:
"From an acorn, mighty oaks grow." E
"A penny saved is a penny earned"

Ref. context.reverso
6 49 1.3k
"From an acorn, mighty oaks grow." could be, but the usual is that it means "grandes árvores crescem de pequenas sementes" ou seja, os começos podem ser modestos.
Depois as coisas vão se tornam grandes, situações melhoram, etc.

"A penny saved is a penny earned." is more to the point, if we think in cumulative terms.
If we don't spend a cent it's like we earned a cent, that happening often, ammounts to a lot of mone, given some time.