Como dizer "Décimo terceiro salário" em inglês

Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Pessoal,

Sempre disseram que não há 'décimo terceiro' nos EUA. Porém, apesar disso, acredito que vale a pena saber como seria o equivalente em inglês, já que conhecimento nunca é demais. Confiram um trecho do 'The New York Times' sobre o assunto:

The 13th month's salary [décimo terceiro salário] is not a bonus, but a legally mandated payment due all workers. Employers pay salaries on a monthly basis in Brazil, but because the payments cover four weeks, the 13th payment at the end of the year compensates for the extra days each month.

Imagem

Bons estudos!

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
This is an important piece of trivia to astound my Canadian friends with. Some here get paid twice monthly (on the 15th and the 30th of the month, or the Friday preceding, if the date falls on the weekend). I can now show them why they should demand the extra 25th and 26th paycheques.

P.S. But there aren't 13 months, Donay. Shouldn't it have been simply "the 13th salary," as in Portuguese?

PPS. Other places pay every two weeks, and therefore that includes a 13th salary, even though many of us here never recognize them as being the same thing as the Brazilian 13th salary!
Although it may not express the same idea, I believe that "Christmas Bonus" could be a good equivalent to our Décimo Terceiro
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Henry,

Yes, I think it makes sense (13th salary); I decided to use a translation by The New York Times as a way of making the post reliable, but '13th salary' is definitely acceptable.

Valeu!