Como dizer "Deixar os outros para trás" em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 11 224
To leave the lot of them for standing

"She can really run. I mean she left the lot of them for standing."

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Autor
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Actually, I've heard the expression just as Simon put it.

It's unusual, but not unheard of: https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22left+ ... 8Qfi-YCoCw
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Winnie, "the lot of them" is a colloquialism. But we do know what it means. See http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threa ... ot-of-them. It means "all of them".

As to "for standing", I've already offered sources for the expression.

I don't recommend the expressions, but they're part of curent language.
Simon Vasconcelos 11 224
Thomas, eu transcrevi essa frase da legenda que apareceu no making-of de um filme, por isso eu a digitei entre aspas. Agradeço muito sua correção e suas outras sugestões.
Thomas 7 62 297

Simon, "for" does not fit here. A tyographical error, perhaps?

...she left the lot of them in her dust.
...she left the lot of them as if they were standing still.
...she left the lot of them wondering where she had gone.
Thomas 7 62 297

Simon, "for" does not fit here. A tyographical error, perhaps?

...she left the lot of them in her dust.
...she left the lot of them as if they were standing still.
...she left the lot of them wondering where she had gone.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Winnie 2 20
leave others behind.
Winnie 2 20
She can really run. I mean she left the lot of them for standing

I'm sorry but this sentence makes no sense. It really doesn't. Let's take it apart:

1) The lot of them. This is archaic. I do understand it means "the others" but most people would not know this. Perhaps people from the UK do use this expression. In my view it's wrong unless you are writing a humor play for the 8th grade Shakespeare club.

2) She left the lot of them. This really makes no sense. She left them? She left most of them? She left those that mattered?
I'm totally at a loss at the meaning here.

3) for standing. This makes no sense at all. Not even in Old English. It's unintelligible. Truly it conveys no meaning.