Como dizer "deturpar as palavras de alguém" em inglês

Carls 2 78
To twist somebody’s words = deturpar as palavras de alguém

e.g.:
You twisted my words = você deturpou (as) minhas palavras
she twists everything I say = ele deturpa tudo o que digo

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Thomas 7 62 296
Carls, what would be "to put words into someone's mouth"? It is used when someone misrepresents something we have said or may say in the future.

Bill: Jack means/says he would like to date Susan.
Jack: I never said that. I said we were friends. Stop putting words into my mouth!

Jill: You probably told Bob you did not like his work and you wanted another carpenter.
Mary: I never said such thing. Don't put words into my mouth. I told him his work was fine.
I'm sorry Thomas, are you asking for the portuguese equivalent ?

it would be rather literal: "pôr palavras na boca de alguém".

Gui: O Jack (??) disse que gostaria de namorar com a Suzana.
Jack: Eu nunca disse isso, eu disse que éramos amigos. Não coloques* palavras na minha boca

*It really doesn't matter much if it's 'pôr', 'colocar' ou 'botar'. They'll more like switch from place to place. I lived 5 years in Portugal, in this case I used the expression as it would, most likely, feature in a portuguese context, but I guess in Brazil it would most likely be 'pôr' ou 'botar'.
Carls 2 78
Thomas,
to put words in (ou into) someboy's mouth = pôr palvras na boca de alguém

your examples:
Stop putting words into my mouth! = deixe de pôr palavras ma minha boca
Don't put words into my mouth = não ponha palavras na minha boca

By the way (já agora)

to take the words right out of somebody's mouth = tirar a palavra da boca de alguém

e.g.:
you've taken the words right out of my mouth = você tirou-me a palavra da boca
Thomas 7 62 296
Interesting. Thank you!
TheBigSpire 1 11 33
Folks, podemos traduzir "deturpar" em geral como "pervert"?

Encontrei as frases abaixo que parecem satisfazer essa condição, mas queria ver se alguém pode confirmar.

- They student editor completely perverted my point to make it sound boosterish. (economist.com)
- It's really very sad to see such a great idea as Wikipedia be perverted that way. (en.wikipedia.org)
- Unfortunately, in our community the definition of manhood is perverted. (kentucky.com)
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
Breckenfeld 3 15 131
My suggestion:

To distort someone's words.

Bye!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Hi there! Big Spire.

To my thinking those "pervert" meanings would be in the sense of altering something (some word/thinking/idea/ on purpose - e.g. for personal gain.
For example, someone that uses some ideology or interpret someone else´s ideas, in a wrong way.
That would be different from misinterpreting, and from "put words on someone´s mouth" (now in the sense of stating that someone said something that some didn´t) but it gets close.

They student editor completely perverted my point to make it sound boosterish. (economist.com)
- It's really very sad to see such a great idea as Wikipedia be perverted that way. (en.wikipedia.org)
- Unfortunately, in our community the definition of manhood is perverted. (kentucky.com)

Let´s say that pervert would be close to "misuse", a misapplication of some idea/concept/thinking, etc.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Hence, for example, in the first sentence the student might have misused his point to make it sound boosterish. When it was not.
So, the two concepts of putting words in someone´s mouth could be in play here: that of stating that I said it was boosterish, and that of misusing my words to make a effect of giving a boost to morale of fellow students (a guess here, just to illustrate the point).