Como dizer "dever-se a..." em inglês

Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Pessoal, como eu traduzo o termo na frase abaixo?

"O desenvolvimento da minha carreira se deve à fulano."

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Hi Flávia,

Perhaps something such as

"I owe the progress in my career to..."
"Much of my career success is due to the help and support I have received from..."
"For the success I have had so far in my career, I certainly have __________ to thank.

Regards
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Hi there!

My career success is because of Peter (esse é bem comum)

My career success is on account of Doug's help (Prefiro esse)

My career success is due to Sunsara

Take care,

Teacher Pondé
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Reopening...

Put down to
if you put something down to a particular reason, you think it has happened for that reason
(Macmillan)

Can I replace "reason" with "person" in the definition above? I mean, instead of put down to something, can I put down to someone ?

If so, would that make sense to say "I put the development of my career down to Fulano" meaning "O desenvolvimento da minha carreira se deve à fulano." ?

t.i.a.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Flávia,

Eu digo que não seria uma opção comum usarmos "put something down to somebody else", neste caso. A sugestão do Henry é, para mim, de longe a melhor e mais comum: "I owe the progress in my career to...". Uma outra boa poção seria "Fulano played a key role in my career."
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
I was trying to think of why I don't like "put something down" for this context, and I think it's mostly because of its common use being a bit more informal than the occasion seems to warrant. You would be understood, but the level of language might make it sound out of place.

Perhaps attribute, assign or credit are better words.
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
Daniel.S 1 2 11
"O desenvolvimento da minha carreira se deve à fulano."

não sei pq mas algo me diz que podemos optar também por rely on, ou não?

Ex: My career success relys on John

estaria correto utilizar rely on com este sentido, de crédito?
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
"Put something down to" is often also used for "blame":

Blame it on bad luck. = Put it down to bad luck.

"Rely" to me is ok, but it sounds closer to "depend on" in the sense of an ongoing dependence, which may be more than was intended.
Daniel.S 1 2 11
They succeeded by means of patience and sacrifice

O sucesso deles se deve a paciência e ao sacrifício