Pra dizer "Ele contou meu segredo", eu diria "he put my secret out of the bag", "he put my cat out of the bag" ou "he put the cat out of the bag"? Como eu diria exatamente?
Um guia para quem estuda Inglês Online
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu:Pay attention to the topic number 363.
To let the cat out of the bag
- Revelar um segredo ou uma fraude.
A: He let the cat out of the bag.
B: About what?
A: He let the cat out of the bag about the company’s new policy.
If we said "He let his cat out of the bag" or "He spilled his beans", we would face a problem related to the double-entendre.
(1) Literal: He put his pet, a cat, maybe a kitten, out of the bag. How cute!
(2) Figurative [less common; informal]: He revealed his secret.
[It is just to get the conversation shortened. It could be funny too. Beans is a slang term for ecstasy.]
There are other options:
>> He told my secret.
>> He revealed my secret.
>> He let my secret be known / exposed.
>> He spilled the beans. [Idiomatic expression].
(1) Cambridge Online Dictionary.
(2) American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language. 5th edition. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. 2016.
(3) PECKHAM, Aaron. Urban Dictionary: Fularious Street Slang Defined. Andrews McMeel Publishing. 2005.