Como dizer "Esquivar-se de perguntas" em inglês

To field questions

Watson is not the only cast member from the Harry Potter films to have fielded questions on their sexuality.
The Guardian

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
8 respostas
Henry Cunha 3 17 182
I think there's some confusion here. "To field a question" means to answer the question. It's a baseball metaphor for "catching the ball". "To avoid the question" would be "se esquivar da pergunta."

(In baseball you have infielders and outfielders, depending where they play in the baseball diamond. Fielding balls is their main purpose in life.)
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
As for the meaning, I think you both may be right. "Field" can be answering or cleverly avoiding responding a question directly. One thing or the other.

Perhaps in the case in point the ''avoiding" sense is slightly more to the point, if we consider the last rumours on mainstream media, wich she felt compelled to deny.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/7 ... Sexuality-

Cambridge Dict. Definition:

Field /fild/ verb ANSWER

2. [ T ] to answer something cleverly or to avoid answering something directly
He fielded some awkward questions very skilfully.
Breckenfeld 3 15 127
My suggestions:

To sidestep the questions.

To beat around the bush.

Bye!
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
My opinion that "sidestepping" or evading a question, have a slightly different sense. It´s a related one, anyway.
Of course, if I am not mistaken. ;)

"To Sidestep" is "esquivar" in a definite way (to dodge it), whereas "to field" is to answer/reply it skillfully/adequatelly (generally avoiding to answer it directly). Politicians do it all the time. ;)
Henry Cunha 3 17 182
Não existe nada implícito em "fielding questions" que indique com qual característica isso foi feito.

You can field questions desultorily / skillfully / poorly / etc.

É preciso alguma outra qualificação que complemente uma expressão que, por si mesma, é relativamente neutra.

Veja http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/field+questions

"Esquivar-se da pergunta" dificilmente seria traduzido como "fielding a question". São expressões praticamente opostas em sentido.
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
Well, it´s not implicit indeed. It usually the meaning would be "answer". Anyway, there´s room to think so in some contexts. Especially when the interviewee has the need to put the wool on the eyes of the reporters or the public in general (since he can´t evade difficult questions directly, once and for all.)

Maybe the following example could be a case in point, for example:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... e17841055/

The head of Canada’s electronic-eavesdropping agency says he “can’t really disclose” what kinds of access it could have to data flowing through Bell, Rogers and Telus.

As John Forster fielded questions from MPs this week, the spymaster stressed that Communications Security Establishment Canada is still banned from spying on Canadians. Yet he was less definitive about CSEC’s potential relationship to the “Big Three” telecommunications companies.

John Foster answered without answering. Perhaps that´s why the item headline says "he dodges", while in the news item itself becomes clear that he is "less definitive". And previously it´s clear that he kinda dodged (even if he answered) under the pretext that "he can´t really disclose."

--------
Field /fild/ verb ANSWER

2. [ T ] to answer something cleverly or to avoid answering something directly
He fielded some awkward questions very skilfully.

Field questions and field a question
To answer a series of questions, especially from reporters. After her speech, Jane fielded questions from reporters. The president's press agents field questions from the newspaper.
Daniel Reis 1 17
Olá pessoal,

Podemos usar o verbo ''to dodge'' nesse contexto ?

Exemplo da internet: The Senator dodged ​questions about his ​relationship with the ​actress.

Valeus
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
"Para se esquivar de perguntas", dodge afigura-se-me um bom verbo.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!