Como dizer "Está um cheiro de queimado" em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 11 221
Está um cheiro de queimado na cozinha. Você está sentido?

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Sugestão.

"I smell a burning smell in the kitchen. Do you smell it too?"
Thomas 7 62 296
I smell something burning in the kitchen. Can you smell it too?
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Opção:

Cheiro de queimado: smell of burning

There is a smell of burning: Tem um cheiro de queimado

I can smell burning: estou sentindo cheiro de queimado
Can you smell burning?: Você está sentindo cheiro de queimado?
There was a smell of burning in the kitchen: Estava/havia/tinha um cheiro de queimado na cozinha.

Referências:

Longman, Larousse, Thefreedictionary
Thomas 7 62 296
Google "smell of burning" and see what you find. I do not remember ever hearing or reading "smell of burning" used alone, without a noun after "burning" (such as the "smell of burning" rubbish). I realize that exceptions exist to almost every rule and that it is impossible to hear/read all possible combinations of words in a language, but saying "smell of burning" seems very incomplete to me. Burning grass has a smell, burning cane fields have a smell, burnt steak left too long on the grill has a smell, but I don't think the word burning has a smell.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Thomas,

O que você disse faz sentido sim - o Google confirma. Porém, o Google mostra também a expressão "smell of burning" em contextos menos diretos - sem identificar o tipo de cheiro. Os contextos, neste caso, perguntam, não sabem, querem saber o tipo de cheiro.

Valeu!