Como dizer "Estou sobrando aqui" em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 11 225
-Não vá embora!
-Não se preocupe comigo. Eu vou sair porque estou sobrando aqui.
-Sobrando?
-Sou um engenheiro num grupo de médicos. Não entendo o que vocês estão conversando.

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
9 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Opção:

I'm like a fish out of water here.

''I'm like a fish out of water here up in the stands. I'd be much happier if I was down on the field coaching or in some other capacity.'' [Orlandosentinel.com - USA]

Definição do "Thefreedictionary'' [a fish out of water]: appearing to be completely out of place; in a very awkward manner.

Bons estudos!
Outra opção: to be the fifth wheel.

No sentido literal significa "ser a quinta roda" — também conhecido como estepe; o pneu sobressalente do carro. No sentido figurado, quer dizer que você é uma pessoa que está sobrando ou sendo excluída.

Definição:

• an extra person who is not needed in a group
= uma pessoa extra que não é necessária em um grupo
(Merriam-Webster’s Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary)

Exemplos:
  • He felt more and more like a fifth wheel at the office.
    = Ele se sentiu mais e mais como um excluído no escritório.
    (Merriam-Webster’s Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary)
  • They enjoy making any outsider feel like a fifth wheel.
    = Eles gostam de fazer alguém de fora se sentir sobrando.
    (Dictionary.com)
  • I am the fifth wheel all the time.
    = Eu sempre fico sobrando.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
"Fifth wheel" reminded me of Robertson Davies' inventive title Fifth Business, an amazing novel by a great Canadian writer. Davies himself explained the meaning of the title this way:

"Those roles which, being neither those of hero nor Heroine, Confidante nor Villain, but which were none the less essential to bring about the Recognition or the denouement were called the Fifth Business in drama and Opera companies organized according to the old style; the player who acted these parts was often referred to as Fifth Business.
—purportedly Tho. Overskou, Den Danske Skueplads

Davies was pressured by his publisher to provide some clear idea of what exactly "Fifth Business" was, and so Davies affixed this opening quotation, which was taken at face value. Only in 1979, when the book's Norwegian translator failed to find the citation, did Davies admit it was his invention."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Business
Juliana Rios 24 105 397
And then there's the "third wheel", which, according to Wikipedia, is "a corruption of fifth wheel, which refers to someone who deters the socialization of a couple, perhaps when being invited out of pity or through a feeling of duty".
Gabi 1 1 19
The 'third wheel' é a boa e conhecida pessoa 'vela' heheh

I think we can also say 'to feel left out' in a sense of being in a place where everyone is talking or interacting of somehow and you're just there like a lemon, not talking to anyone or not doing anything - sobrando.

eg- Everyone knew each other at the party but me. I felt really left out.

Confere, gente? =)
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Agreed, Gabi.
The third wheel could be used in that sense of hanging out with a couple (friends) and being/making them be - in that awkward situation. Here "segurando vela" in Portuguese.
In a way, being the third wheel it´s not cool and it´s frowned upon. the Urban Dictionary says.

That of "feel like being left out" in a party or having the feeling of not belonging, I would rather use the "feeling of being the odd man out/the one out." (there are other ways to express that, but the "third wheeler" is not much used in that sense, I think.)

Other expression that would do the trick would be "I am feeling like the outsider here/I am the outsider here." or may
be in a joking way "I don´t know a thing/much of engineering, I would just spoil the chat!"

I am no expert on the subject, enjoy the chat/enjoy the party guys, I have to take a pee (or any other excuse!)

"Fish out of the water" is a nice imagery as well.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Juliana Rios escreveu:And then there's the "third wheel", which, according to Wikipedia, is "a corruption of fifth wheel, which refers to someone who deters the socialization of a couple, perhaps when being invited out of pity or through a feeling of duty".
An agonizing situation from which comes the saying

Two's company and three is a crowd.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Outra sugestão:

I'm in the way here. >> Estou sobrando aqui. (= atrapalhando).

Referências:

Look, it's been nice getting acquainted, but I can see I'm in the way here, so I'll just be going on about my business. [Google Books - Karen Robards]

Aquí yo estoy de más. >> I'm not needed here, I'm in the way here. [Collins]

Bons estudos.
Thomas 7 62 297
I do not fit in here.