Como dizer "Fica o não dito por dito" em inglês

This is the name of a poetry: "Fica o não dito por dito".

How can I say it in English? What does it mean?

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Hey there!

First, I strongly recommend you should a research on English Experts site:
(1) traducao-de-o-dito-pelo-nao-dito-em-ingles-t20168.html
(2) como-dizer-ficar-por-isso-mesmo-em-ingles-t23842.html

- Ficar o dito pelo não dito
[Brazilian idiom]
(1) Não se chegou à conclusão alguma = No conclusion was achieved / reached / presented = No-one comes to a conclusion.
(2) Nada mudou / se alterou = Nothing changed.
(3) Ficar de rodeios = To beat around the bush (similar meaning)

I believe you could say:

EXAMPLE 1:
to go back on something
- voltar atrás em algo.

The Europeans find it incomprehensible, and surprising to say the least, that the European Parliament should one day come out in favour of a report only, a few months later, to go back on its decision and vote in favour of a radically different report.

Os europeus acham isso incompreensível, e pelo menos de espantar, que o Parlamento Europeu se pronuncie um dia a favor de um texto e, alguns meses depois, dê o dito por não dito e vote a favor de um relatório profundamente diferente.

EXAMPLE 2:
to cry off (BrE)
[phrasal verb]
- desistir / dar para trás

Since the prompt introduction of the measures was conducive to safety at sea, the Council cried off.

Visto que a rápida introdução das medidas foi propícia para a segurança marítima, o Conselho deu o dito por não dito.

I hope you find it interesting.

Enjoy your studies!

REFERENCES:
(1) http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... anguage=EN
(2) Cambridge Online Dictionary.
(3) Pearson Education. Longman Dictionary. 2004.
EXAMPLE 3:
to remain just so
to remain just that
to remain undefined
to remain uncleared
- permanecer indefinido / inconclusivo

That elusive game remained just so.
(1) Aquele jogo vago permaneceu indefinido (exatamente; apenas)
(2) Ficou o dito pelo não dito naquele jogo impreciso.
Andrezzatkm 2 8 111
No poema o autor usou um trocadilho. "Fica o não dito por dito"
Good evening,

You should check the difference between poetry (poesia) and poem (poema):
http://www.klickeducacao.com.br/bcoresp ... -h,00.html

EXAMPLE 4:

Dar / Deixar o dito pelo não dito
Literal translation: To give the said by the not said
Idiom: to change one's position

There were five times Donald Trump changed his position on a really big issue.
(1) Houve cinco vezes em que Donald Trump mudou de posição sobre um assunto muito sério.
(2) Houve cinco vezes em que Donald Trump deixou o dito pelo não dito sobre um grande problema.

Ferreira Gullar is the author of the poetry "Something which was not said".
Ferreira Gullar é o autor da poesia "Deixar o não dito pelo dito".

I would like to point out that there are idioms which have diferent meanings abroad although they could be translated literally.
idioms-com-a-mesma-traducao-mas-com-sig ... 59453.html

"Fica o não dito por dito" is an example of Portuguese pun or paranomasia, which is a form of word play. I am afraid to say if we translate it literally, the native English speakers will not comprehend the author's message. The context will be very limited and in order to avoid that, you should adapt the title as "Something which was not said" or "Something which was forgotten".

I hope we have helped.

So long,

Ricardo.

REFERENCE:
(1) CACCIARI, Cristina; TABOSSI, Patrícia. Idioms: Processing, Structure and Interpretation. Psychology Press. New York: 2014.
(2) MODERN POETRY IN TRANSLATION. New Series / No. 6 / Winter 1994-95. Special Feature: Modern Poetry from Brazil. Published by King´s College London. University of London. Edited by Daniel Weissbort.
(3) https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... big-issue/
(4) http://www.antoniomiranda.com.br/poesia ... ar.html#en
(5) https://ciberduvidas.iscte-iul.pt/consu ... ilho/10222
(6) FONTAINE, Michael. Funny Words in Plautine Comedy. Oxford University Press. 2010.
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu:
CORREÇÃO

Hey there!

First, you should read this:
(1) traducao-de-o-dito-pelo-nao-dito-em-ingles-t20168.html
(2) como-dizer-ficar-por-isso-mesmo-em-ingles-t23842.html

- Ficar o dito pelo não dito
[Brazilian idiom]
(1) Não se chegou à conclusão alguma = No conclusion was achieved / reached / presented = No-one comes to a conclusion.
(2) Nada mudou / se alterou = Nothing changed.
(3) Ficar de rodeios = To beat around the bush (similar meaning)

I believe you could say:

EXAMPLE 1:
to go back on something
- voltar atrás em algo.

The Europeans find it incomprehensible, and surprising to say the least, that the European Parliament should one day come out in favour of a report only, a few months later, to go back on its decision and vote in favour of a radically different report.

Os europeus acham isso incompreensível, e pelo menos de espantar, que o Parlamento Europeu se pronuncie um dia a favor de um texto e, alguns meses depois, dê o dito por não dito e vote a favor de um relatório profundamente diferente.

EXAMPLE 2:
to cry off (BrE)
[phrasal verb]
- desistir / dar para trás

Since the prompt introduction of the measures was conducive to safety at sea, the Council cried off.

Visto que a rápida introdução das medidas foi propícia para a segurança marítima, o Conselho deu o dito por não dito.

I hope you find it interesting.

Enjoy your studies!

REFERENCES:
(1) http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/get ... anguage=EN
(2) Cambridge Online Dictionary.
(3) Pearson Education. Longman Dictionary. 2004.
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
But "Fica o não dito por dito" is different with "Fica o dito pelo não dito". What does ""Fica o não dito por dito" mean?
Fica o não dito por dito
Meaning: "Things are already wrong and will never change. They will remain unchangeable and it is a rule.", according to Gullar's viewpoint.
Great my smart friend. Exactly. Gullar's pomes ;)