Como dizer “Ficar na banheira” em inglês

Avatar do usuário zumstein 9260 20 280
Em Português : Ficar na banheira
Em Inglês ... : To be in an "offside position"

1 – Iniesta was initially in an “offside position” when Torres attempted to pass him the ball.
De início, quando Torres tentou passar-lhe a bola Iniesta estava na banheira.

Clichés (To be offside):
- Ser pilhado fora de jogo.
- Ficar trocando figurinha com o goleiro.
- Ficar curtindo amor em terra estranha.

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Breckenfeld 4200 11 93
My suggestion:

To cherry-pick.

To position oneself away from the current play on one's opponent's defensive end for an opportunity to receive the ball and score an easy basket or goal.

We might not have gotten scored on if you had actually been playing defense instead of cherry-picking!

Nós poderíamos ficar sem levar gol, se você tivesse realmente ficado na defesa ao invés de ficar na banheira adversária.

Bye!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
O problema é que offside position não se traduz como "ficar na banheira", e sim algo como posição fora de jogo.

Essa expressão na banheira provavelmente é coisa nossa, da América do Sul. Não acredito que há uma tradução literal para isso.

Abs
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 40885 6 32 716
In a nutshell cherry-picking would mean "just to sit in front of the goal" and wait for the ball to come, so the player don´t go for it, she is expected to come for him. :-)

It just doesn´t work, unless you are a soccer genius like Romario, that was criticized for "disappearing" during games, but then when everyone had forgot him, he would "appear" and score a goal.
How come! He reasoned that his markers would have the natural human tendency to move, and when they moved a bit then Romario wasn´t there anymore!

With him, there would be critics but the goal was certain, at the end of the day it was what would matter. With an average player, cherry-picking like this will irritate your coach, your team and team supporters. You will be out...

By the way, he more often than not wouldn´t show up to train, and then asked why, he said "I don´t train, I score goals" and added "soccer is not running."
Indeed he was a player of the so-called "small-sided game" (as if the field was just a small parcel of land - the player doesn´t need to play the whole of it). Thus, the player have to develop and use tactical and technical skills (inventive dribble, for example).
Again, Romario is one of a kind. One goal-poachers who loitered in the penalty area...but then very effective at scoring.
Anyway, he was to surprise with coming back to help the defense and even climbing with a player of the rival team to head a ball, being that the other player was almost two times his height!

Kids don´t try this at home!

http://xtraimmortal.blogspot.com.br/201 ... riker.html
http://www.soccerfitness.ca/wp-content/ ... ssue-2.pdf
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 40885 6 32 716
Conversely, some people in the English-speaking countries are becoming interested in the Brazilian language (and then Brazilian soccer language).
I have seem the definition of "na banheira" (that means "in the bath", think of an imagery of someone in a Jacuzzi and the field being his home), so it goes (taken from the Web and also from Fox :

Goal-poachers who loiter in the penalty area are said to be "na banheira" — "in the bath" — relaxing and taking it easy while teammates run around. Brazil's 1994 World Cup winner Romario or Italy's Filippo Inzaghi were bathers.

Na banheira: in the bathtub - when a player stays in the final third of the pitch, only waiting for the ball and not coming back to help.

Notice the "and not coming back to help.", that´s the trait that one may think when talking about "banheira", hence the criticism. It´s regarded also as the team having an advantage since there is someone close to the goalie just waiting for the ball... Anyway, they don´t take into account that is one less helping the team with defence!
Anyway, it´s soccer stupid! (I am saying to myself), so I am not supposed to know much deeper about the reasoning of the beautiful game, ha ha ha.
Avatar do usuário zumstein 9260 20 280
Olá Breckenfeld!

Na tradução, embora haja algumas ocorrências no google, não se usa "na banheira adversária".
Poderia ser "na banheira (só)" ou "impedido" ou "em impedimento".

Quanto ao resto, tá campeão. Parabéns!

Eu conhecia To Cherry pick como escolher a dedo.
Bye
Avatar do usuário Breckenfeld 4200 11 93
zumstein escreveu:Olá Breckenfeld!

Na tradução, embora haja algumas ocorrências no google, não se usa "na banheira adversária".
Poderia ser "na banheira (só)" ou "impedido" ou "em impedimento".

Quanto ao resto, tá campeão. Parabéns!

Eu conhecia To Cherry pick como escolher a dedo.
Bye

Olá Zumstein, ao colocar na banheira adversária apenas quis enfatizar, era para ter colocado entre parêntesis, mas na hora esqueci.

Um abraço.