Como dizer “Geração nem-nem” em inglês

Zumstein 1 31 435
Um em cada cinco brasileiros entre 18 e 25 anos não trabalha nem estuda. É a chamada 'geração nem-nem’. (Estadão)

Em Inglês ……: The NEET Generation

A NEET or neet is a young person who is not in education, employment, or training.
Ex.:
The NEET generation, young people not in employment, education or training, is a terrible waste… (linkedin.com)

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
A bit simplified that translation of Estadão, anyway it is better than nothing.

In fact, the "nem trabalha, nem estuda" serves to the Brazilian reader understanding.
But we know well that in the States and in Europe people in young age would get to work in supervised training (period)/supervised academic training/intern in some company etc.

So, the second part of the post is spot on, that is, NEET would be something more like "nem trabalha, nem estuda, nem em treinamento" or something like that.

The Swedes sum it up this way:
Young people aged 15-24 were neither in education, in work or in action.
(nem estuda, nem trabalha, nem (estão) em ação.)
Como dizer "Ele nem estuda nem trabalha" em inglês?
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
"Ele nem estuda nem trabalha".

He is neither working nor studying (right now).
(Currently), he is neither working nor studying.
Leonardo96 19 293
Deadpool 2020 escreveu: 20 Jan 2021, 17:55 Como dizer "Ele nem estuda nem trabalha" em inglês?
He doesn't have a job nor is he in college.

I wouldn't recommend using "studying" like that, it's not used in the same way in English as it is by us in Portuguese. It's normal for us to ask someone "você estuda?" which in itself implies you're asking if they're in college with no need for any clarification, but it's not natural for you to ask someone "do you study?" in that context. You'd have to specify which subject you want to know if they study in particular for it to make sense and be natural.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I agree that "do you study?" isn't commonplace, but in interview questions, one could be asked e.g. "what are you studying in school?" OR a Toefl examiner could ask " something such as, "are you working or are you studying?", just for the sake of asking, just because they can.
Also, the ING form isn't only used to events happening right now, at the exact moment of speaking (or asking/answering), it can be in the sense of extended present, actions that are in progress but not happening at the exact moment of speaking. As in: I‘m looking for a cheap car, do you have any ideas?
Of course, it wouldn't be used only to "what are you studying in school?" it could be asking about somebody's else child, hence "he" in the answer (it was my thought at the time of answering).
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
Leonardo96 19 293
I know what you are saying, my point is, it's not common for someone to use the verb "study" like that with no further clarification to refer to whether someone is enrolled at any educational center such as an university... You'd have to specify which subject you want to know if they study, just asking "do you study" or stating it as an affirmative sentence if you want to know if someone is in college or say you're in college yourself isn't something that is natural to native speakers. You'll very likely hear a "study what?" if you ask an English speaker if they study in a context where you wish to know if they go to college or are currently taking any educational courses.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I see your point, it makes sense that someone wouldn't say that he/she doesn't study without clarifying what their subject of study at school, college, or university (his major) or outside that some training or taking some course. Yep, you are right on that one.

As an statement, and if the conversationists are on the topic of NEET it is suitable because they are already on the topic (of NEET generation, or person). But, certainly the statement won't be made 'solo' without a context.
I am glad that you brought up that point and your perspective as well. You have always provided invaluable insights.