Como dizer "ir na onda de alguém" em inglês

Oi, eu gostaria de saber se há alguma expressão em inglês para "ir na onda de alguém". O significado seria ser influenciado por alguma pessoa.

"Eu achei que ele só estava indo na onda do Pedro, mas na verdade acho que ele se comporta mal assim mesmo".
"Pára de ir na onda das meninas da sua escola, elas só se aproveitam de você".

Eu estava pensando em "he was influenced by..." mas eu queria saber se há alguma gíria para essa expressão, algo mais informal.

Obrigada desde já!! :D

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
16 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Camila Oliveira 1 14 31
Hello Laila, how are you?

Acredito que você encontrará sua resposta neste post do Donay: O que significa "follow the crowd"?

Espero ter ajudado!
See ya =)
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
"Eu achei que ele só estava indo na onda do Pedro, mas na verdade acho que ele se comporta mal assim mesmo".

I thought he was swayed by Pedro/was negatively influenced by Pedro, but now I figure (I realize) that he is genuinely a bad egg (a badass/liar...) etc.

That´s just one example, it can be stated in other ways and also could depend on other contexts.
woehl 1
Amigos com todas estas informações e ainda vendo a resposta no Donay recomendado pela colega eu ainda não consigo resolver esta questão.

Contexto: Imaginem que um amigo está tentando fazer minha cabeça pra ir morar nos Estados Unidos por exemplo, e meu pai ao saber disso diz:

" Não vai na onda desse cara que é fria".

Como seria o equivalente nesta situação nesse nível de formalidade?

Obrigado.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Recomendo (para o contexto):

1. Não vai na onda desse cara que é fria. [Don't trust this guy or you'll get into trouble.]
2. Não vai na onda desse cara que é fria. [Don't listen to this guy or you'll get into trouble.]

Bons estudos.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Donay has nailed it. Spot on!
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
E quanto a esses dois exemplos:

A) Para de fazer onda e conta logo o que você sabe!
[Aqui a pessoa enrola pra contar uma coisa.]

B) Para de fazer onda, de fazer historinhas com o cara, tomando satisfação na rede social, e processa logo esse cara, porque sujou a sua imagem na internet.
[Já aqui a pessoa também enrola, mas ela cria mais problemas ainda quando tem que resolver por completo.]

Então, como é tudo em inglês?

TIA!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
To the case of A letter - "Stop stalling and get to the point."
Leonardo96 19 293
"Stop stalling and get to the point." could be translated into "Stop beating around the bush and cut to the chase" if you're looking for a more idiomatic version.
Breckenfeld 3 15 131
My suggestion:

To get pushed around.

Não vai na onda desse cara que é fria. Don't get pushed around by this guy, he means trouble.

Bye!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
To my thinking both could be used, Leonard. But in two different contexts, of course. They can have some intersection in sense, but not necessarily equivalent to each other.
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
Leonardo96 19 293
PPAULO escreveu: 30 Abr 2020, 21:11 To my thinking both could be used, Leonard. But in two different contexts, of course. They can have some intersection in sense, but not necessarily equivalent to each other.
Different contexts? How so? Both of them convey the exact same idea.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Stalling in that case could be about someone "delaying", wasting time somehow. That would be 'stalling for time' somehow.
Of course, doing that, someone may wedge something in-between, anything. And while doing that, he/she would be beating around the bush (that´s where the two meanings intersect).
It also happens that someone says something but in mid-sentence he/she may change of mind (because they are going to spill the beans...) so they keep stalling. Someone then would ask them to stop stalling in such way.

So, they really can mean the same (and they are more often than not), but not necessarily so. That was what I thought at the time of writing.
Leonardo96 19 293
PPAULO escreveu: 30 Abr 2020, 22:35 Stalling in that case could be about someone "delaying", wasting time somehow. That would be 'stalling for time'.
Of course, doing that, someone may wedge something in-between, anything. And while doing that, he/she would be beating around the bush (that´s where the two meanings intersect).

So, they really can mean the same (and they are more often than not), but not necessarily so. That was what I thought at the time of writing.
It makes sense but in the case "stalling" might not really 100% suit what Melissa was looking for, don't you think? I'm pretty sure "beating around the bush" fits it best.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Here´s the thing. I didn´t know whether the "pára de fazer onda" would be the "beating around the bush" proper, or something a la "deixa de onda...para de fazer marola...e fala logo/desembucha - tipo, eu estou com pressa..." (with some impatience about 'delaying' ring to it).

In case "stalling" wasn´t what she was thinking of, yes I agree that "beating around the bush" would fit the bill.
Leonardo96 19 293
Yeah, it could mean both i'll give you that (although what you described seems like the same thing as "beating around the bush" to me.) But what came after it kind of gave it away, didn't it? To me at least it was pretty clear what she was looking for when she added "conta logo o que voce sabe" to it haha, otherwise I wouldn't be very clear on it either. Btw I'm not trying to spark a heated argument hahaha sometimes one of the sides involved in an internet discussion of any sort might get that feeling because there's no intonation coming into play. And I also think that my suggestion might suit what she was looking for better because "para de fazer onda" is kind of an idiom too, so coming up with an equivalent in English that is also an idiom would be ideal to me.
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I am fine with both ways, and with your way too. I see your point and it´s valid. Let´s not sweat the small stuff and move on to the next question.
By the way, the discussion has provided useful feedback to the learner and enhanced their learning somehow, it can only be good.
:-)