Como dizer "Jogar a negra" em inglês

Zumstein 1 31 435
Play the rubber match - Jogar a negra

After 2 games where each team has won one match, the third and decisive game is referred to as the "rubber match".

1 - If the teams split, they will play the rubber match on Saturday. (ledger-enquirer)
2 - After both Frank and John won a game, they will play a rubber match to see who is the ultimate winner. (Urban)
3 - The Sun Devils and Bulldogs are tied at one game apiece, and they will play a rubber match Monday at 2 p.m. (ricethresher.org)

Negra - partida decisiva, de desempate.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Seria correto dizer Play-off game?

They need a play-off game to decide who is the champion.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Tudo depende do contexto, mas 'playoffs' pode ser traduzido como (nas finais de um campeonato) como mata-mata, finais, oitavas de finais (partidas classificatórias e eliminatórias ao mesmo tempo) etc, outras vezes seria "desempate".

Rubber match - usualmente é 'a melhor de três', se fala bastante em esportes de lutas (MMA/quando um adversário tem um encontro com outro num histórico de ganhou-perdeu (ao longo de um tempo, ou contando as 2 últimas lutas entre si, uma vez que eles não se 'encontram' todo tempo).
Ou seja, quando dois 'monstros' do esporte, onde um ganhou do outro e vice-versa, onde a rivalidade e competitividade é a tônica e é alta. Como cada um ganhou uma vez, considera-se que houve um 'draw' (empate), se espera uma revanche aí.

Isso não impede de usarem a expressão 'rubber match' no sentido de 'playoff game', há que se levar em consideração se é o caso ou se foi usado nos sentidos acima. De qualquer forma são jogos (ou eventos) importantes.
Bryan Philpott 2 22 127
I'd never heard of a rubber match...I'd just call it the tiebreaker. More rarely "the decider" or "the deciding match". I don't know if rubber match is a UK thing or what.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You are right, Bryan. It seems like British, "rubber match" or "rubber game" used in Cricket, lawn bowling and trickled into others sports (cards playing included).
It's said that it was in use since 1599. In American modern and informal English, a "tie-breaker" would be more likely (to be used).

My example of 3 games was good, but I found another definition in which they explain that it also can be when each team has won the same number of games. So, in practice, it's a tiebreaker as well (sometimes of a series of 5 matches).
Anyway, I have learned that it is used in volleyball (a very young sport) and tennis (in the NYT it was mentioned the match as "rubber").

My two cents here, I am no sport buff, but it seems like a word still in use by sports enthusiasts (tennis for instance).