Como dizer "O peixe estava parado na água" em inglês

Para pessoas e animais no chão usamos o verbo stand; Para veículos terrestres usamos o verbo stop; E para objetos dentro d'água (peixes) ou sobre a água (barcos)? Aproveitando o tema: E no ar (helicóptero)? E se uma máquina estiver parada num corredor, podemos usar o verbo stand para se referir a ela, também?

Todas essas dúvidas surgem pelo fato de eu interpretar stand como "estar de pé", inconscientemente.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
23 127 1.7k
Para dizer que não está se movimentando, que está parado, nos contextos apresentados, recomendo utilizar stationary. Confira nos exemplos de uso retirados de publicações internacionais a seguir.
  • (Discovery.com): The sound of a flapping fish will attract more sharks than if the fish was stationary (parado).
  • (Nbc-2.com - USA): The boat was stationary in the water (parado na água) with the motor running when Jason Schreyer lost his balance and fell into the throttle.
  • (Oxford - USA): Some of the larger birds can remain stationary in the air (permanecer parado no ar) for several minutes.
  • (BBC): With something like this, which is stationary in the air (parado no ar) when the CF-18s are flying very, very fast, it is difficult to shoot it.
  • (Wordreference - UK): The motorcycle was stationary (estava parada) when it was struck by the car.
Não use stand.

Bons estudos.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
Eu pensava que podíamos usar stand, mas resolvi perguntar só pra ter certeza.

Ainda bem que despertei essa curiosidade e tive a iniciativa de postar aqui.

Obrigado, Donay!
6 49 1.3k
One could also the word "still' - "the fish was still in the water." (not moving/not swimming).

Advice to release a fished fish:
RECOVERY CAN TAKE A FEW MINUTES
Live-release3because for the fish, the fight may have been exhausting. It is important to hold the fish still in the water, facing into the flow to allow water to get into the mouth and out through the gills. It will be obvious when the fish is ready to swim away – but don’t let go of it before it is ready.

Here the it´s "impression" the impression that the fish is not moving/swimming, as you see, if the fisher let go of it, it will flee on the spot. No time to lose!

Many would say it hurts the fish, so it´s just to illustrate here, not a personal example or advice.

Why is my betta fish so still?
There´s a question from somebody else to a site expert, it could mean both "why isn´t my fish swimming/why is it so quiet?", indeed the fish could be moving/swimming less than expected...
23 127 1.7k
"The fish was still in the water."

The man caught the fish but took a long time to get it out of the water. I mean, he caught the fish at six and at six thirty the fish was still in the water. It hadn't been removed from the water yet.
6 49 1.3k
I agree it can have one of both meanings. It goes with context:

Conditions that can cause this are poor water quality, lack of air, poor nutrition and loud noises. The goldfish is sensitive not only to his own aquatic world but to the world around his own. While it's true that goldfish can tolerate algae and muck to a certain degree, they will go into partial hibernation if their water becomes too cold. While it's unlikely that such conditions would occur in a bowl, the fish would react by sitting still at the bottom. Nitrates in the water stress the fish and make him sick; in a small bowl they build up quickly, causing disease.Sleeping is the only healthy circumstance for goldfish to hang out on the bottom of a bowl. When goldfish sleep, they simply hang somewhere, without moving much.

In such case, I think "still" (an adjective, the quality or state of being stationary - not moving or making a sound). Would be the same as "hang out" (spend time here) at the bottom of the bowl [to the fish example of before].

Taken in some contexts, yes, it may have the meaning of "continuing to happen or continuing to be done" (an adverb).

As one sentence - "The fish was still in the water." - would be indisputable that the first thought would be of continuing to happen, the word as an adjective could even occur, but it would be way less often.
CURSO DE PRONÚNCIA
Domine todos os sons do inglês com o nosso novo curso de pronúncia. O professor Adir Ferreira, referência no ensino de pronúncia, criou este curso especialmente para o English Experts. INICIAR AGORA
23 127 1.7k
I agree with you, PPaulo. Context is everything.

Thank you for answering.
6 49 1.3k
You´re welcome, Donay. I greatly appreciate your job of helping out others and the way you interact in the EE, nice teamwork indeed!
23 127 1.7k
I greatly appreciate your job of helping out others and the way you interact in the EE, nice teamwork indeed!
Thank you for your comment, Paulo. I greatly appreciate your job of helping out others and the way you interact in the EE too.

Keep up the good work!