Como dizer "o porquê das coisas" em inglês

Como dizer "o porquê das coisas" na frase: Eu sempre quis entender o porquê das coisas.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Thomas 7 62 297
Eu sempre quis entender o porquê das coisas. = I always tried to understand the why of things.

I don't understand him. I don't know what makes him tick.
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Outro exemplo:

Eu sempre quis entender o porquê de ele ser tão tímido.

I've always wanted to understand the reason why he is so shy.
I've always wanted to understand the reason for him to be so shy.
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Flavia, can't we simply drop the "the reason" in the first sentence?
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Marcio_Farias escreveu:Flavia, can't we simply drop the "the reason" in the first sentence?
Sim! Mais uma opção.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Marcio_Farias escreveu:Flavia, can't we simply drop the "the reason" in the first sentence?
In fact, you can drop either "the reason" or "why".
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
jlmmelo 14 107
Also:

The why and wherefore - o porquê, a razão

Examples:
  • 1. I've always wanted to understand the why and wherefore he is so shy. Flavia.lm

2. We're addicted to a certain belief about the why and wherefore of our version of capitalism. business.time.com

3. Mr. Obama's dilemma is that he can't change the why and wherefore of his fall from voter grace. washingtontimes.com