Como dizer "Para você ter uma ideia ..." em inglês

Hi there,

I was writing an email to a friend, and I´d like to tell him about some differences here in Brazil and I started my sentence with:

"Para você ter um ideia aqui ....."

I wasn´t able to translate this properly, so that I wrote "For an ideia, here ..."

I don´t know either if it´s right, but I think he got it.

My question is: Does anybody know the best way to say this in English??

Thank you

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Giordano,

Just for you to know
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Provavelmente o que mais dizemos--

To give you an idea, here... = Pra te dar uma idéia, aqui...
Just to give you an idea,... = Só pra te dar uma idéia,...
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Acho que já usei muitas vezes, pra iniciar uma frase: "For you to have an idea, ..."
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Flavia.lm escreveu:Acho que já usei muitas vezes, pra iniciar uma frase: "For you to have an idea, ..."
It's possible, but there is something of a change in purpose and an effect on whether the expression can be omitted without affecting the meaning of the sentence. Checking the first several entries in Google:

... gather information on how you will establish a business that complying with the law and for you to have an idea on how will you avoid the don'ts in business. ...

Attached are the interior pictures for you to have an idea how beautiful and spacious the inside looks i will like you to get back to me with your ...

... Romtelecom, UPC, Euroweb, Evolva (2gbps peering with RDS and Romtelecom, 1gbps with Euroweb, that's for you to have an idea about our net quality). ...

Since graduate school is such a huge investment of your time, energy, and money, it's critical for you to have an idea why you want to go in the ...

.... (skipping some)

For you to have an idea of magnitude, the processor communicates with the RAM memory typically at a transfer rate of 800 MB/s (100 MHz bus), while the hard ...

If you intend to put a comma immediately after it, so that it becomes an incidental expression (one that can be omitted without affecting the core message), it probably doesn't work very well.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
É mais ou menos esta a diferença principal:

Eu estou mandando essas informações para você ter uma idéia de quanto tempo...
I am sending you this info for you to have an idea of how much time...

Para você ter uma ideía de quanto tempo..., eu...
For you to have an idea of how much time..., I...

Para você ter uma idéia, esse trabalho demorou dez dias para acabar.
To give you an idea, it took ten days to finish that job.

Num caso, a expressão não pode ser omitida. Na outra, é secundária. A vírgula tem uma função nítida.

There is something idiomatic, too, in the difference between "to give you an idea" and "for you to have an idea".
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
Eu tinha comentado justamente por causa da sua resposta usando "to". Nesta msg acima, eu teria usado "for" em todas; mas agora ficou clara a diferença. Obrigada!
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
donay mendonça escreveu:Giordano,

Just for you to know
Donay, you could perhaps say "Just so you know,...". (Só para que você fique sabendo,...)

"Just for you to know" is really going to mean "For only you to know," or "for your eyes only", as they say in the spy movies.

There are a bunch of sayings in English that start with "That's for me to know" that exemplify the meaning; for ex:

That's for me to know and for you to find out.