Como dizer "Passar a lombada" em inglês

woehl 1
Como digo:
> My hat fell off quando o motorista passou a lombada lijeiro.
> Passe/dirija devagar na lombada.

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Ricardo F. Bernardi 6 26 454
Goof afternoon,

You should read: como-dizer-lombada-quebra-molas-em-ingles-t10382.html

To pass over the speed bump / hump /cushion / table.
To drive over the judder bar (AuE ) / (NZE)
- passar a / dirigir em uma [lombada; quebra-molas; ondulação transversal]

My hat fell off when the driver passes the hump quickly/ in a hurry.
Meu chapéu caiu quando o motorista passou a lombada ligeiramente.

Pass over / Cross the hump slowly.
Passe devagar na lombada.

Do you drive really slow over speed bumps?
Você dirige muito devagar nas lombadas?
woehl 1
Porque "pass over the bump" se o carro toca a lombada?
- A plane passed over my head.(nao tocou)
Porque nao (He passed on the bump?)
-
Porque a frase "My hat fell off when the driver passes the bump in a hurry" esta no presente?
Hey there!

I believe you should read:
(1) http://mydrivinginstructortraining.com/ ... eed-bumps/
(2) diferenca-entre-above-on-over-up-t984.html

Enjoy your studies!
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu:
CORREÇÃO.

Good afternoon,

You should read: como-dizer-lombada-quebra-molas-em-ingles-t10382.html

To pass over the speed bump / hump /cushion / table.
To drive over the judder bar (AuE ) / (NZE)
- passar a / dirigir em uma [lombada; quebra-molas; ondulação transversal]

My hat fell off when the driver passed the hump quickly/ in a hurry.
Meu chapéu caiu quando o motorista passou a lombada ligeiramente.

Pass over / Cross the hump slowly.
Passe devagar na lombada.

Do you drive really slow over speed bumps?
Você dirige muito devagar nas lombadas?
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
My hat fell off quando o motorista passou a lombada ligeiro.
One way to express that: My hat fell off when a car passed over a speed hump without slowing down.

I decided for speed hump instead of a speed bump, albeit it´s possible even if the car would certainly fly over it!
Speed bumps would send the car flying, speed humps would be less aggressive, but then if the driver is aggressive and reckless...well let´s leave it at that.
Dynamic speed bumps are a good idea, but beyond our current reality, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_bump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ic6ZO4MuI8
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
ON

1. Covering something; part of the surface

This definition tells us that on means that one thing is covering something else. It usually touches the surface. Sometimes it is part of the surface, like putting butter on the surface of toast.

• Most people put butter on their toast.
• Put your jacket on before you go outside.
• I wear my grandmother's ring on my left ring finger.

Over and above would not be used in place of on with this definition.

OVER

1. Covering; on top of

This definition tells us that over means that one thing is covering or laying on the top of something else.

The definition is very similar to on. On is often used in place of over when it means “on top of.”

Over also suggests movement or covering a larger area, such as driving over a bridge.

• She is wearing a sundress over her swimsuit.
• We flew over the Grand Canyon. (Over would suggest movement from one side to the other.)
• Lay the blanket over his legs. (Lay the blanket on his legs.)
• I put my hand over her mouth to keep her quiet. (I put my hand on her mouth.)

ABOVE

1. In a higher place; over

This definition tells us that above can sometimes mean the same thing as over.

However, above is usually something that is higher than something else, such as a tree above a yard. It also usually specifies a certain position.

• We are above the Grand Canyon. (Above suggests we are currently above the Grand Canyon.)
• Ben lives above the pizza shop. (His apartment is located on top of the pizza shop.)
• A president is above a vice-president. (The president outranks the vice-president. He is higher than the vice-president.)
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Passe/dirija devagar na lombada.
As it came up whithout "emotion" I can´t say if you meant something day-to-day, but here you go:
Slow down, will you. There´s a speed bump ahead!
OR
Take the car, but slow down to pass speed bumps, please. We don´t have that kind of money to buy speed shocks all the time!

The point is, there are some different emphasis involved, the end result is the same, though.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Porque "pass over the bump" se o carro toca a lombada?

Woehl, neste caso também poderia significar "pass/cross (transverse an area)" See Thesaurus:
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/pass%20over

Other example:
When the last of the Israelites ascended from the Jordan, the waters returned to their place, as it is stated: "And it came to pass, when the priests who bore the ark of the covenant of the Lord came up out of the midst of the Jordan and the soles of the priests' feet were lifted up unto the dry ground, that the waters of Jordan returned unto their place and went over all its banks, as before." Consequently, the ark and its bearers and the priests were on one side [of the Jordan] and the Israelites on the other! The ark carried its bearers and passed over [the river]

Pode-se concluir, que do texto, a arca não estava por cima do rio sem tocá-lo. Então a ideia nesse caso é de "atravessar/cruzar/transpassar"...
Com a lombada, podemos pensar nos verbos "cruzar/passar por (cima). Note que a lombada é algo transversal.