Como dizer "Pista simples e pista dupla" em inglês

11 221
É mais cansativo fazer uma viagem longa numa pista simples do que numa dupla.

Pista simples = Mão indo e mão vindo

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
9 65 608
Outra opção:
Pista única - One-way road / street
Pista simples = Mão indo e mão vindo - Two-way road / street
Pista dupla - Dual carriageway

Sugestão de tradução:

It's a lot more tiring having a long journey on a two-way road than on a dual carriageway.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dual_carriageway
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
Uma pista simples é uma two-lane road. Para se referir a pistas duplas, é comum utilizar-se four-lane road. Neste caso, está implícito que cada sentido possui duas pistas.
3 18 190
But you also see "single lane" and "double lane," which leave nothing to inference.
3 18 190
I think we're stuck in terminology traffic here...

To my knowledge, in North America "one-way" and "two-way" always mean "sentido único" and "sentido duplo". So, Toronto, for instance, has some large multiple-lane streets in which traffic runs one way only. So, in terms of the English spoken here, I think I still prefer single and double (or multiple) lanes as self-explanatory, and distinct from "way", which we use to mean flow direction.
9 65 608
Maybe in Toronto that is the case, but in the UK it is as I stated. See the reference below from "The Highway Code".

"The national speed limit differs according to the type of road, and it is here that some drivers can be confused. There are three types of road: single carriageway, dual carriageway, and motorway. The national speed limits that apply to them are shown in the table below."
http://www.abd.org.uk/know_your_speed_limits.htm
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
3 18 190
So, Telma, I'm curious. Do the British employ terms such as "single lane," "dual lane," etc., and "one-way," "two-way," etc. in the ways I suggested above, or would that be confusing to them?
9 65 608
I just offered another option to the topic and it does sound odd to me translating the sentence as this:
It's a lot more tiring having a long journey on a single lane(road) than on a dual lane (road).
You should consider, Henry, that there are variations in many countries rather than ask in the way you did.
3 18 190
Here's a brief quote from a British source describing one kind of British roadway, the S2:

"S2 is a standard two lane road, usually one lane each way, though the term describes only the physical characteristics of the road, so it could just as easily be a one-way road with two lanes travelling in the same direction."

Much more at http://www.cbrd.co.uk/abbreviations/

My point is, when you get right down to it, the British seem to employ pretty much the same descriptors that we do in North America, and to run into the same description problems that we are having here.