Como dizer "pracinha da segunda guerra" em inglês

Como dizer "pracinha" em inglês? (segunda guerra)

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 26 454
Hey there,

Examples:

1) World War II enlisted man = O pracinha da Segunda Guerra (Mundial).

2) I first came to Los Angeles when I got home from the war in Europe with $300 in my pocket and the G.l.
Vim para Los Angeles quando voltei da guerra na Europa com US$ 300 no bolso e o certificado de pracinha.

The term G.I. has been used as an initialism of "Government Issue" or "General Issue", but it originally referred to "galvanized iron", as used by the logistics services of the United States Armed Forces. The letters "G.I." were used to denote equipment made from galvanized iron, such as metal trash cans, in U.S. Army inventories and supply records. G.I." was also used as an adjective for anything having to do with the Army or Army Air Force.

3) Old soldiers' home = O lar dos veteranos de guerra.

4) Veterans Day = Dia dos Veteranos das Guerras.

5) The largest garrison in the country is in this town. = A maior guarnição (praça / campo militar) no país está nesta cidade.

Garrison is the collective term for a body of troops stationed in a particular location, originally to guard it, but now often simply using it as a home base.

REFERENCES:
(1) Collins Dictionary.
(2) HUGHES, John; JOHNSON, Patrick Head. Baby's Day Out movie. In Brazil: Ninguém Segura Esse Bebê. Hughes Entertainment. 20th Century Fox.
(3) Pearson Education. Longman Dictionary. 2004.
(4) MARKS, Jane. Hidden Children: The Secret Survivors of the Holocaust. Kindle Edition. Ballantine Books Publisher. 2015.
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
1 6 92
Private: a soldier of the lowest rank, in particular an enlisted person in the US Army or Marine Corps ranking below private first class.
He in the Army in 1980 and was first assigned as a young private as a supply clerk in Germany.

World war II private.

Cheers!
1 4
No Brasil (não sei em Portugal), por profunda pesquisa que fiz, o termo "praças", derivado de "praças de pré", pode abranger desde alistados, recrutas, cabos, e até sargentos e sub-tenentes que se enquadrem na condição de sub-oficiais não comissionados. Por favor me corrijam se esta definição estiver inexata. Não encontrei um apelido inglês exatamente equivalente a "praça" no sentido militar.
6 49 1.3k
Pracinha geralmente se refere ao contingente da FEB, oficial ou praça (praça de uns tempos pra cá se tornou sinônimo de militares 'anterior' á de oficiais).
Ou seja até subtenente/suboficial, depois não são mais referidos como praças, mas sim oficiais.

Já o termo "sentar praça" (assentar praça) era um termo que significava se juntar ao exército, se alistar, etc.
Ref. forum.wordreference

In the U.S. Army there is the "enlisted" ranks (equivalente aos 'praças') vs "Officer" ranks, plus the WO warranty officer - the technical and tactical experts. Equivalent to "subtenentes/suboficiais" ranks viz-a-viz Brazilian ranks, but here the similarities stop. They (the WOs) come from universities and would pilot helicopters and act as officers, leading troops on the ground, leaders of platoons, etc.
Ref. pt.wikipedia

Edgar Facó sentou praça em março de 1902. Cursou a Escola Preparatória do Realengo, no Rio de Janeiro, então capital da República (Distrito Federal) e o curso de aplicação de infantaria e cavalaria da Escola de Guerra de Porto Alegre. Foi instrutor na Faculdade de Direito de Fortaleza e na Sociedade de Tiro Nº4, no Rio Grande do Sul. Foi promovido a segundo-tenente em março de 1911.

Seria meio genial que Facó não sendo oficial tivesse logrado tal feito (de ir do zero á oficial) em apenas 9 anos! E a biografia sugere, dentro do contexto da época que o mesmo tinha uma graduação em Direito.
Contudo, talvez membros de órgãos de formação tivessem equivalência com praças enquanto alunos, daí o 'assentar praça' também.
Atualmente tão logo se formem a equivalência deixa de existir, e também quando existente é somente para alguns fins, mais em termos burocráticos talvez.
Ref. pt.wikipedia

Outra coisa que sugere que Facó não teria entrado como 'praça' (no escalão inferior das fileiras) é que sua família vinha dos Queiroz, uma família de escritores e outros luminares da época.

Anyway, some argue that "Pracinhas" would mean the 'diminutive' of "praça", and at the time would mean 'a soldier without graduation", without a rank (also called a Brazilian army pvt. At the time).

Most of the time we could refer to them as "Brazilian combatants" at the WWII.
1 4
Thanks PPAULO for great context. So it is my understanding that the meaning of "praças" (not specifically "pracinhas" of WW2), have progressively widened its scope over the years. I'm working on a text about Brazilian military in the 1920's, wonder if at that time the term would already encompass corporal, sergeants and WOs. Anyway, I don't think there was an English equivalent nick for personal usage other than perhaps saying "enlisted". All the best !
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
6 49 1.3k
"Brazilian soldiers" from the Expedictionary Force and FEB are seen in history sites, also and "Brazilian combatants" (and we can think of "Brazilian Army Units" depending on context, generically yes, we can talk of "enlisted" given the context (and for simplicity's sake).

One similar thing happens today when people talk about the French Foreign Legion, when people ask "How much do Foreign Legion soldiers get paid?" the site presents the starting wage, and then the ones of Corporals, Sargeants, Sargeant-Chiefs, Adjutants, etc.
That is, sometimes "soldiers" stands for the whole gamut. That is found in news like "...presence of US troops in afghanistan", that doesn't mean that soldiers go alone, without the higher brass (higher officers).

Actually, I had to dig deeper, commenting on the post of Augusto, it encompassed more recent days so
I had touched the WO officer topic, and later I have learned the NCO terminology (something that he had mentioned).

WO seems like starting at "suboficial/subtenente" and NCO from virtually any rank (when such 'positions' opened at the forces), so soldiers, corporates, sargeants, petty officers, can be NCOs, a NCO member. A special case is of "NCO officers" that can be a corporal or sargeant, this is often seen in auxiliary forces (police, etc, specially in English-speaking countries), where coming from universities and colleges make a difference in their career status and terminology), so the 'officer' part (in NCO) conveys a different meaning from the term "oficial" in Brazil military.

Ref. history.navy

Ref. ca.indeed
1 4
Tks again PPAULO !
6 49 1.3k
You're welcome, buddy!