Como dizer “Roupa de domingo, de festa, de sair” em inglês

1 31 435
Em Português: Roupa de Domingo – (a melhor roupa)
Em Inglês ......: Glad rags – (Someone's best clothes)

1 – Let's put on our "glad rags" and go out tonight!

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
7 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
2 23
I never heard the expression "glad clothes" in my life. You could say Sunday Best but we usually say dress up clothes or we would say, "I am going to get dressed up."
AMPLIANDO O VOCABULÁRIO
Isa Mara Lando é uma referência entre os profissionais de tradução. Ela já traduziu mais de 100 livros, entre eles estão obras de autores aclamados, como: George Orwell, Salman Rushdie e Walter Isaacson (a biografia de Einstein). Nesta aula gratuita, Isa dá várias dicas de vocabulário. ACESSAR AULA
1 31 435
Also:

Someone’s “best bib and tucker” UK – (not modern)

1 - She wore her best bib-and-tucker.
2 - On the afternoon of the party, bib-and-tuckered guests are queuing at three entrances more than an hour before entrance time.
7 62 296
Sunday best
threads (old slang)
9 65 607
This reminds me of the song "Handbags and Gladrags":

"So what becomes of you my love
When they have finally stripped you of
The handbags and the gladrags
That your poor old Grandad had to sweat to buy you"
7 62 296
You can wear a suit to your birthday party, but don't go in your birthday suit.

to be in one's birthday suit = to be nude
CURSO DE PRONÚNCIA
Domine todos os sons do inglês com o nosso novo curso de pronúncia. O professor Adir Ferreira, referência no ensino de pronúncia, criou este curso especialmente para o English Experts. INICIAR AGORA
Judy Friedkin, the song 'Rock around the clock' says, "put your glad rags on and join me hon'..."
2 23
That song must be 50 years old! It is nothing we ever said nor that I ever heard. Of course ,I heard the song many times and probably never listened to the words. It was just a creative expression in a song, just like we would never say to put any kind of rags on unless kidding around. Poetic license! It is quite a happy expression "put your glad clothes on..." It creates a picture in your mind of having a blast at a party. I like it . However it is not used.