Como dizer "sermão (passar e levar sermão)" em inglês

De acordo com o Dicio,:
1. Discurso sobre um tema religioso proferido pelo sacerdote, geralmente durante a missa; pregação, prédica.
2. [Figurado] Censura fatigante e importuna; repreensão, admoestação.
3. [Figurado] Discurso longo, cansativo, com teor moralizante.

3. "Eu passei um sermão nele pois acredito que ele esteja fazendo uma decisão errada."
3. "Levar sermão de vez em quando nem sempre é ruim."

Agradeço a apreciação.

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
3 15 131
My suggestions:

For # 2
To give someone a lecture.

Example:

I have given him a lecture for I believe he is about to make the wrong decision.

For #3
To lecture someone

To be lectured

Examples:
Don't lecture me about honesty, You cheat on your tax returns.

Being lectured occasionally is not always bad.

Bye!
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
6 49 1.3k
To meaning # 1 - usually one uses "preach" (delivering a sermon or also speaking publicly about their beliefs) as in:
How long have some of us been preaching in the wilderness?
Há quanto tempo andam alguns de nós a pregar no deserto?

To #2
It could be expressed as "give (someone´s else) a piece of mind", as in:
If he doesn't start behaving himself, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind. She gave me a piece of her mind for being late again.

OR scold (someone else) as in:
When I told her I was staying only three days, she scolded me: "How can you see everything in such a short time?
Quando eu lhe disse que ficaria por apenas três dias, ela me repreendeu: "Como você pode ver tudo em tão pouco tempo?

And to #3
Preach as in the song Maddona sing-sang "papa don´t preach"

Obviously, there are more to it, but I will leave the ball in the court of our fellow participants of the Forum.
6 49 1.3k
3. "Eu passei um sermão nele pois acredito que ele esteja fazendo uma decisão errada."
3. "Levar sermão de vez em quando nem sempre é ruim."
3.1) I gave him an earful about what I thought when he told me about the decision he would take; which, to my thinking would be a wrong decision!
I gave him an earful about that decision he was about to take, which was a terrible mistake, in my opinion.

3.2) That reminded me that "sometimes we have to accept/embrace criticism as a way of improving our performance, etc." or more to the point "sometimes we are better off if we heed some advice"
Of course there are cases and cases. Unsolicited advice is not welcome, disrepectful and patronizing. But those useful and respectful of one´s boundaries (mainly when we are talking about interpersonal adult communication).
1 6 92
The father scolded his son. the son got scolded by the father.
O pai deu um sermão no filho. o filho recebeu um sermão do pai

The father dressed his son down for arriving late= o pai deu um sermão no filho por chegar tarde.

You must reprimand him . he got reprimanded.

Cheers !