Como dizer "só para inglês ver" em inglês

Zumstein 11130 1 23 356
Como dizer (explicar) ‘só para inglês ver’ em inglês

Caso um dia um inglês (‘nativo’) me perguntar o que significa essa expressão “só para inglês ver”, o que devo responder?

Ex: - Era só promessa não tinha nada escrito, era só para inglês ver.

Definição: Uso informal – para efeito de aparência, sem validez.

Bye
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data

Marcio_Farias 12530 1 23 211
Fake or false, as in "He made an unwritten, fake/false promise" or "You can't take his promises at their face value" or "He always makes his promises void." I guess anyone else will write it better everywhere else.

Donay Mendonça 58250 21 98 1392
Olá Zumstein,

Uma sugestão:

Only for show / just for show

He says he enjoys classical music, but it's only for show. [Merriam Webster]
Ele diz que curte música clássica, mas é só para inglês ver.

Bons estudos!

Daniel.S 625 1 2 6
Hi there!

you may also say: get people's hope up

Ex: it was just a promisse, something to get people's hope up

Daniel

Flavia.lm 3960 1 9 90
Lá vai a minha:

pra inglês ver = for the sake of appearances

Henry Cunha 10070 3 16 179
The answer I would give (to a Brit) would be something along these lines:

"Well, the British have been coming here since about the 1700's to show us what they´re like (extraterritorial legal jurisdiction, commercial and naval supremacy, superior culture, etc.), so Brazilians developed a parallel system for dealing with British expectations and demands."

Regards
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Algumas palavras do inglês e do português se parecem, mas têm significados diferentes! Faça o download do guia da English Live e aprenda sobre e quais são os principais False Friends.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!

maryziller 325 1 1
Henry Cunha escreveu:The answer I would give (to a Brit) would be something along these lines:

"Well, the British have been coming here since about the 1700's to show us what they´re like (extraterritorial legal jurisdiction, commercial and naval supremacy, superior culture, etc.), so Brazilians developed a parallel system for dealing with British expectations and demands."

Regards
I can't believe I read superior culture. Superior to what? Brazilian culture? There is no culture superior to any other. Each culture has its value and diversity is what makes life so interesting. Maybe I misunderstood how it was meant.

I'm being ironic, of course. The British certainly considered themselves superior in every way. This type of thing was pretty common fare:

"But I feel sure that if the English had colonized Rio de Janeiro, it would have been one of the most prosperous cities in the world. Even the yellow fever is not indigenous, but has been created quite within the last few years by accumulation of Portuguese filth. -- Ralph Burke Ulick, Business and Pleasure in Brazil (48) Could the intelligent English, Irish, and Scottish agriculturalists, possessed of small capital, be induced to scale the confining walls of home-ties and prepossessions to come here to judge for themselves of the climate, the resources, and the capabilities of this vast and fertile empire, on which nature, in the collocation and accumulation of its mineral and agricultural wealth, seems to have smiled benignantly, and to have lavished with a munificent hand her choicest treasures, we think that few would be willing to leave the prospects which it offers to the enterprising and industrious farmer, whether in pursuit of agriculture or of grazing -- prospects far superior to those offered by Australia, New Zealand, or the United States. -- William Scully, Brazil (xii) Studies of the interrelations between British imperialism and popular culture... "

See http://muse.jhu.edu/login?uri=/journals ... orman.html

Regards

maryziller 325 1 1
Ok. Yeah, point taken. I did misunderstand that it was meant ironically by you. Thanks for the explanation, Henry.

And I think there's also another aspect to this expression, in that it reveals how affronted native Brazilians (and the Portuguese) were, by the visible (and openly displayed) "superiority" of the British. In a way, the expression was intended to suggest that, as smart as they might think they were, the British could be fooled by appearances. The vengeance of the underdog...

FabianoAngelo
só para inglês ver : Made it up

He made it up all the conversation in the meeting last night

Everyone believed in him but he wasn't telling the truth. He made it up.

:)

timphillips 590 8
Hi Henry,
As a humble Brit living in this Brazil that I know and love for the last 25 years, I'd just like to say "You're right, of course."
Thanks
Tim

Thomas 14600 7 59 287
I have been surprised to read of the "heavy hand" of the Brits in Brazil in the 1800s, but I think it was nice that they attacked a slave ship in Paranagua. I'm sure that they did other good things too. Unselfishly? They supported the Confederates States of America during our Civil War, but Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was to put an end to that. The North (USA) was a direct competitor of the British, but the South (USA) had the raw materials that made them a much needed supplier. With the emancipation (and it was limited -- not complete), who could side with a nation that supported slavery? -- Has anyone been to the Museu do Imigrante in Santa Barbara D'Oeste, SP? When I realized why the Confederates had gone to SP, it made me sick to my stomach. They had not learned a thing. -- Pra inglês ver...

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Está se preparando para as provas de proficiência? Faça o download do  guia da English Live: 10 Dicas Para as Provas do TOEFL e TOEIC. Nele você encontrará informações úteis e dicas na hora de realizar a prova.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!