Como dizer "travar" em inglês

The context is this one here:

"Eu fui contratado para trabalhar na recepção de um hotel. Porém estou com muito medo de travar no inglês!"

"I was hired to work in the hotel's reception. However, I'm so afraid ...............!"

Please, correct me if I made some mistake.

Thank you very much indeed!!!

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
18 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Jerry Dorien 4 48
Hi Tiago,

to hang: travar, parar de funcionar.

I'm afraid to hang at the time to speak English (Eu estou com medo de travar na hora de falar inglês).
she still hangs at the time to speak English (Ela ainda trava na hora de falar inglês).
he hanged at the time to introduce his girlfriend to us (ele travou na hora de apresentar a namorada dele pra gente).

see you!!!
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Olá Pessoal,

Uma sugestão:

Eu fui contratado para trabalhar na recepção de um hotel. Porém estou com muito medo de travar no inglês!"
I've been hired to work in a hotel reception but I´m afraid I´ll blank out when I need to speak English.

Bons estudos!
JERRYDORIEN escreveu:Hi Tiago,

to hang: travar, parar de funcionar.

I'm afraid to hang at the time to speak English (Eu estou com medo de travar na hora de falar inglês).
she still hangs at the time to speak English (Ela ainda trava na hora de falar inglês).
he hanged at the time to introduce his girlfriend to us (ele travou na hora de apresentar a namorada dele pra gente).

see you!!!
Hi JERRYDORIEN. Thanks for the answer. But, are you sure those sentences are correct? I've just asked to a native American friend how could I say "travar" in English. She said it could be "stutter" ("gaguejar" em português). So, I sent those 3 examples you put here to her and she said those sentences don't make sense in English. Are you sure about them?

Maybe you are right, maybe these sentences make sense in other parts of the U.S.A. or England/Canada. I don't know.

Thank in advance!
timphillips 11
Olá Pessoal,

Uma sugestão:

Eu fui contratado para trabalhar na recepção de um hotel. Porém estou com muito medo de travar no inglês!"

I´ve been hired to work in a hotel reception but I´m afraid I´ll dry up when I need to speak English.

Tim :D
For JERRYDORIEN's answer what could work and make more sense is to "get hung up":

I'm afraid that when I speak English I'll get hung up.

That's pretty informal and colloquial and I think "blank out" or "stutter" (if stuttering is what you are worried about) are better choices for the US at least.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
I would say: "I´ve been hired to work in a hotel reception but I´m afraid of GETTING STUCK when I need to speak English".

Does anybody agree with me?

Christina
maryziller 1 2
The word 'travar' translates as 'to be hung' when talking about a computer terminal that is stuck in a loop or frozen.

Ex. My computer hung and is not responding to ctrl-alt-del. what do i do? (an example from the internet).

I agree with "I'm afraid I'll draw a blank", and" I'm afraid my mind will go blank." An alternate expression is "I'm afraid I'll forget what to say," or "I'm afraid I won't remember how to say something."

I'm afraid of freezing up is also used.

Ex. When I freeze up and go blank, I find I'm putting too much pressure on myself to "make a valuable contribution" to the "dialog" (an example from the internet).
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Hi guys! When it comes to speaking we say Stuck without a voice

Yesterday I got so nervous before my speech that I got stuck without a voice

Take care,
Jerry Dorien 4 48
Hi pessoal,

Peço perdão se errei, é porque eu busco em dicionários e começo a formar frases, e agora percebo que utilizei um método errado para construção.

I’m very grateful all of you for helping me. abraços.
maryziller escreveu:The word 'travar' translates as 'to be hung' when talking about a computer terminal that is stuck in a loop or frozen.

Ex. My computer hung and is not responding to ctrl-alt-del. what do i do? (an example from the internet).

I agree with "I'm afraid I'll draw a blank", and" I'm afraid my mind will go blank." An alternate expression is "I'm afraid I'll forget what to say," or "I'm afraid I won't remember how to say something."

I'm afraid of freezing up is also used.

Ex. When I freeze up and go blank, I find I'm putting too much pressure on myself to "make a valuable contribution" to the "dialog" (an example from the internet).
Hi Mary.

Thank you so much for the answer. By the way, I've always thought that when a computer "trava" the correct term would be "crash". But now, you are telling that is "hang". Is "crash" correct too? I saw that in the end of this add here, take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxLdLBx ... PL&index=6

Thank you in advance.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Sobre o exemplo "gettin' stuck", tenho uma dúvida.

Stuck não é usado quando você está preso em algum lugar, ou alguma coisa fica presa?

I don't wanna be stuck in this town forever. (Não quero ficar preso nesta cidade para sempre).
The pencil got stuck inside the bag. (O lápis ficou preso dentro da bolsa).
My father got stuck inside the bathroom. (Meu pai ficou preso dentro do banheiro :lol: ).

Ou pode ser usado também no sentido de travar a língua por exemplo?
Aguardo resposta :) Até mais!
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Hi there!

Stuck é uma condição na qual você está limitado, paralisado -> como preso em algum lugar como você mesmo citou.

Mas quando usado como stuck without a voice busca-se o sentido de paralisado sem voz nenhuma. Geralmente isso é causado por causa do nervosismo ok?
Como dizer "eu travei" em inglês?
Travar no sentido de bloqueio pessoal, como por exemplo:

"Eu e ela estávamos conversando naturalmente. Mas depois que os amigos dela chegaram, eu travei"

Não é bem como "dar branco", é ficar sem reação mesmo.
Essa dúvida anda tirando meu sono.

Obrigada!
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Opção:

Be at a loss

Exemplo:

Tom was terribly confused—really at a loss.
Tom estava confuso - realmente travado.

''I was at a loss suddenly; but conscious all the while of how Armand listened.''

Ainda, no sentido mais específico de falar, "at a loss for words":

''He seemed, for once, at a loss for words.''
Adriano Japan 1 2 21
asking-directions-cartoon.jpg
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Thomas 7 62 296
I was hired to work on the hotel's reception desk.
However, I'm so afraid I'll freeze when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll freeze up when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll choke when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll choke up when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll screw up when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll bumble when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll blunder when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll foul up when I need to speak English!
However, I'm so afraid I'll get tongue-tied when I need to speak English!

And the list could go on and on...
Será que o Expert Team poderia fazer aquele post verde central que fica no início desta postagem para mostrar quais termos são mais importantes e usuais para sabermos melhor e saber qual utilizar, por exemplo, numa redação, e deixar os outros como consulta, porque tem muito!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Given the context I particularly like the comment made by Mary Ziller along with Thomas examples; plus the posts of Donay. The other comments are good but those would sum up the answers.

In fact is a difficult thing to assess the work of others, this was just a passing commentary of mine. Their willingness to help is what counts...