1. Be six of one and half a dozen of the other
- The solicitor went on: In many ways it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. [O advogado continuou: Em muitos aspectos, foi como trocar seis por meia dúzia.]
- It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. [É trocar seis por meia dúzia.]
2. Trade six of one for half a dozen of the other
- "One organization featured larger workspaces, an option to travel with advancement, and a less formal working environment. On top of all that I was offered a glamorous "consulting" position. At the time, the fit felt right, but just a few months into the role my stomach felt wrong. I was trapped in another programming job that was less than promised and even though my workspace was bigger, my computer screen was all I was seeing and my function as a "code rat" was again cemented. I had traded six of one for half a dozen of the other." (The Career-Savvy College Student - By Jim Holt - Jim Holt writes for the New York Times Magazine and the New Yorker)
- But you, yourselves, told us that they were more or less the same thing. It was like trading six of one for half a dozen of the other. [Mas vocês, vocês mesmos, nos disseram que eles eram mais ou menos a mesma coisa. Foi como trocar seis por meia dúzia.] (House of Commons Committees - Canada)
A opção número (2), com trade, é menos comum em linguagem falada e mais restrita a contextos formais / escritos, como os apresentados em (2).