Como dizer "Voce vai assistir ao jogo hoje?" em inglês

''Voce vai assistir ao jogo hoje/daqui a pouco?'' Jogo eu me refiro a partida de futebol, do inglês britânico. Muito obrigada desde já!

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
13 respostas
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
My tack, more and even better versions are to come. Let´s wait, then.

Are you going to watch the soccer match/soccer play later on?
Are you going to watch the soccer match/soccer play to be happen later today?
Só cuidado com o uso do "soccer". Um britânico mais conservador poderia se ofender.
Eu recomendaria o uso de "football" mesmo. ;)
Thomas 7 60 288
"Watch" implies watching on TV.

I would go with "Are you going to the game?"
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
Good one, Thomas.
In fact I was thinking of watching it on TV, but it was nice of you to add this other sense I had forgotten. Good teamwork, that´s why they say two head thinks better than one.
Thanks, hats off to you, buddy. :)
Sra_Tradutora 6 75
PPAULO, is this correct?
go to the game = ir ao jogo
watch the game (on TV) = assistir ao jogo

It seems to be one of those pesky false friends because when you "assist" at something in English (game, conference, etc.), you're at the place where it's happening.
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
Yes, it´s correct. False friend word got you! ha ha. :lol:
Don´t worry, if I were wrong Thomas would let us to know, he lived for quite a while in Brazil, in Rio Grande do Sul state. :D
I proudly announce that he knows more Portuguese than I do. he he. :D

Assistir in Portuguese might have some different senses, one of them is to "see", to attend an event.

Other meaning is to watch a film, to go to a game. (some happening where you use the eyes to see it)

Still assistir in the sense of being a helping hand/having an auxiliary role: juiz assistente -in a game (the judge that is the aide to the main judge.

=================
Now when into English: "watching" to a movie/film, and "going to a game" expresses our "assistir".

This latter tip to the Brazilian learner, of course.
Sra_Tradutora 6 75
PPAULO escreveu:Now when into English: "watching" to a movie/film, and "going to a game" expresses our "assistir".
And what about watching a game on TV? Is it that in the question "''Voce vai assistir ao jogo hoje/daqui a pouco?'' it is not clear whether we're talking about going to the game or watching the game on TV?
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
Yep, we in Brazil when face that question "você vai assistir ao jogo?" it´s never clear from the beggining, if in spoken chatting.
So, context will be needed, for example if there´s a game between Flamengo x Vasco today, the listener will answer ''Yes, I am going to the Maracana stadium, I already bought the ticket." or "Yes, I am going to watch it on TV."

In Portuguese:
Sim vou ao Maracanã assistir (o jogo).
Sim, vou asssistir na televisão./Eu não fui ao estádio, mas assisti na TV.

Context is what will define wich sense is meant.
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
ST, "assistir ao jogo na TV" = To watch the game on TV.
Sra_Tradutora 6 75
Thanks, guys.
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
As for the soccer/football. Use the rule of thumb -When in Roma do as Romans do.

So, in America or in the UK, beware of:
Soccer - football
Telephone box - call box
Elevator - lift
Pavement - sidewalk
Metro (rail/railway) - underground (railway)
Car park - parking lot
Mobile home/trailer - caravan
A guy -a bloke/a chap
Good bye - cheerio.
Comforter - a continental quilt
A policeman - a copper
Exactly in time/o´clock - dead
Garbage can - dustbin
Santa Claus - Father Christmas
Fish sticks - fish fingers
The game of Soccer /a ball to play soccer - football (tough it is the same in speaking, in writting the latter might be foot ball. In speaking they might be ran togheter)

Apartment - flat
Two weeks - a fortnight.
Full stop -A period (the little dot at the end of a sentence)

:P among others.
Donay Mendonça 22 102 1.5k
Para não ter problemas (se vai ser indo ao estádio ou na TV), sugiro usar "see".

Do Merriam Webster

See:

a : to watch (a television program, movie, etc.)
▪ Did you see the baseball game (on TV) last night? ▪ I saw that movie, too.
b : to go to and watch (a performance, play, event, etc.)
▪ We saw the parade. ▪ We are seeing a play tonight.

* Ao dizer "are you going to see the game tonight?'', o resto do contexto é que vai dizer se é na TV ou lá dentro do estádio.
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
Well, suppose Mallug is a Brazilian learner, see solves his problem when talking in English by using see.

But to an English learner, say, Tradutora for instance. The problem remains in place.
Since if I ask "você vai ver o jogo hoje?" in Portuguese, it could be also on TV or attending the event. Granted; "ver um jogo (de futebol)" is way less problable of being understood as "ver na TV (assistir na TV) than using the word "assistir" itself. But chances are!

Anyway, to the English speaking people that comes to our country I have good news! practice makes perfect!

Obviously saying "vai ver o jogo na TV/vai ver o jogo no campo" leaves no room to misunderstanding.
Or talking about a game that is played by teams of D league (série D), hence not broadcasted! :D
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!