Como Não Esquecer as Palavras Aprendidas em Inglês?

Às vezes eu estou no meio de uma conversa, penso em dizer uma palavra, mas ela foge da minha mente e acabo ficando sem ter o que dizer.

Quando eu aprendo alguma palavra, eu a repito várias vezes, tento decorar, às vezes crio um texto misturando as palavras que aprendi. Traduzo exemplos, entre outras técnicas de prática, mas o esquecimento é meu ponto fraco.

Alguma dica de como amenizar esse problema?

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
From a expert => I particularly like the "tips" at the bottom.

http://www.wikihow.com/Learn-English

Here it deals with the "too formal" way we (sometimes) learn English.

http://www.eslbase.com/articles/real-english

And here I want to say that there are some "different" kinds of English, i.e. Many times we communicate with you in a sort of academical way here. And we have to, because there is a time and a place to everything, you don´t go to the beach on tuxedo (normally) or to a Mass wearing bikinis or trunks.
That´s why novels, movies, TV shows, interviews in which people of all walks of life talk about a variety of matters is good to English. And a conversation with a native or advanced learner, or teacher etc.

That´s more, when you read something that REALLY interests you in some way, you store the vocabulary in your repertoire of words, building up your English more and more.

I honestly think nobody should focus to much, spend much energy worrying about the words he could forget, instead the focus would be build up your vocabulary, increase you repertoire. And if you don´t know how to say something in a way, you may say in another way.
So, if you forget how to say "no less than two minutes" as in:

For best results a five minute test period is recommended, and the test period should be no less than two minutes.

You could say more than two minutes, or two minutes or more.

Just to illustrate the point. Sometimes you can do it, sometimes not, but then, with practice you will know which to use, and if you can interchange them or not.

Other tip is, try to talk or write in English as much as possible, this way you will make mistakes and you learn from them.
No mistakes, no gain.

The more you are "immersed" in English the more you learn about word associations, related words, opposite meanings, almost synonyms (but not quite), and so on.

When you have experienced all that, and you think you know English, then some Simon will bring soccer terms to you, and then you will see that you are just beggining. That you didn´t know much, just a drop in the bucket compared with you didn´t learn yet! :D

Or then, you will learn that many words that were regarded as British are now in use in American English, that some
Slang or neologism is now considered right and proper, that in some contexts you can use double negative. This is English, the language is dynamic and alive. ;)

On the other hand, you will be so happy when you see that you can get by, that you can express yourself. And that you don´t have to measure your knowledge, your pace, with that of others. You compare you with yourself, your progress with own progress. Hmm, now I know and I don´t forget (I retain) 20% more than I knew/I retained the last week.

If you increase your vocabulary, knowledge of culture and interaction you won´t have time to think about forgetting words, because when you least expect a word or expression just leaps out in front of you, not letting you forget it.

And if, by chance, a rare word just comes once in a blue moon, then no worry about it, there are dictionaries and fellow learners, teachers, and uncle Google to help us out.

These tips don´t exhaust the subject (and aren´t supposed to), more certainly will come from other participants of this Forum.
É questão de prática mesmo, tem que treinar muito. Quando aprender uma palavra nova difícil, repita 3 vezes alto e escreva 3 vezes. Procure todos os dias ler algum texto em inglês, não precisa ser grande, 5 minutos
Uma boa dica para aprender o novo vocabulário estudado é anota-lo em seu caderno e tentar criar frases que sejam significativas para você.

Por exemplo:
Aprendi a palavra "to cut back on" que significa "reduzir a quantidade de"

Entao, crio frases com esse termo:

A: I definitely need to lose weight. (Eu definitivamente preciso perder peso)
B: You need cut back on sweets and sugary soda. (Você precisa reduzir a quantidade de doces e refrigerante açucarado.

This year I resolved cut back on ice cream and exercise me more. (Este ano eu resolvi reduzir a quantidade de sorvete e me exercitar mais).

A beginner in English...
Take Care!
Existem técnicas de estudo que dão muito certo para esse tipo de problema. Acho que a mais interessante no seu caso são os flashcards, na frente do cartão você escreve a palavra e na parte de trás você escreve o significado em português. Depois é só ir colecionando mais cartões e uma ou duas vezes por semana revisar todos eles. Também existem ferramentas online e para computador que fazem a mesma coisa, mas eu ainda acho elas bem chatas de trabalhar.
jorgeluiz 1 6 92
Sempre soube que a melhor forma de aprender é a repetição; 1- observo o contexto em que está a palavra nova; 2- Quer esteja num contexto ou no dicionário eu a anoto junto com outras e sempre as recordo no mínimo dez vezes, sempre imaginando uma cena com cada uma e depois cenas com mais de uma palavra de cada vez;
3- Se eu não tenho uma imágem clara da coisa que a palavra designa, vou procurá-la no Google imagem ou no you tube; sempre tenho cadernos e muito papel ofício para fazer anotações, tanto do que já pesquisei tanto do que devo pesquisar.
Depois de tudo isso, procure ler livros e assistir séries legendadas porque se a palavra não é rara ela vai aparecer e você vai ter o prazer de lembrá-la.

Cheers !