Como pronunciar o TH do inglês

Olá pessoal.

Tenho uma dúvida que é a seguinte:

A pronúncia da palavra "Thank" está grafada no dicionário Cambridge assim: /θæŋk/

Portanto vemos que a pronúncia desta palavra é com o tradicional som do TH, aquele que dobramos a língua, sopramos e tal...

Porém muitas vezes vemos os nativos pronunciarem com o som de um T apenas, como o pronunciado
Em "Tablet". Isto geralmente quando ouvimos a expressão "Thank you!".

Minhas dúvidas são:

Está correto então pronunciar com o som do T?
Há certos contextos para utilizarmos com uma pronúncia e com outra?
Se a palavra é escrita com TH, porque os nativos a pronunciam às vezes com o som de T?

Obs: Isto também ocorre com as palavras thin, think, thought, entre outras.

Obrigado, pessoal!

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Também já percebi isto.

O que posso dizer é que isto é normal. Cada pessoa tem uma certa maneira de pronunciar as palavras. É um sotaque (se é que podemos chamar assim).

Veja quantos sotaques temos só no Brasil, conforme a região! E mesmo dentro de cada região a pronúncia não é sempre a mesma. "Cada pessoa tem um certa maneira de pronunciar as palavras." Dicções diferentes.

Então, eu acredito que no Inglês seja assim também, ou em qualquer língua.

Aceito qualquer opinião contrária. I can stand it. :)
Phonetic jokes

It's true that jokes are an endangered species in phonetics, but they do exist. At the risk of being forever jokeless in class, I shall collect some of them here. (Note: you need to have Unicode fonts installed to read the phonetic symbols.)

Q: What do chefs and journalists have in common?

A: They refuse to reveal their /ˈsɔ:sɪz/.

(Source: Gimson)

Of course, jokes involving homophones are the common currency of humorists in many languages. Here's one that may or may not travel:

Q: An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman are standing on a bridge watching a train go by. The Englishman says 'There she goes', the Irishman says 'There he goes' and the Scotsman says 'There it goes'. Which one of them is right?

A: The Irishman. (Wait for it...because it was a /meɪl/ train.)

(Source: Wells, J.C. (1982) The Accents of English)

Here's one relating to dental fricatives, from Singapore:

Q: Why does Tarzan drive a Mazda?

A: Because he travels 323.

(The Singapore English pronunciation of 'three' / θri: / is often / tri: / 'tree'. Mazda 323: a small car popular in the 1990s. Source: Brown, A. (1991) English Pronunciation Models.)

Moving on to Scandinavia (and a possible case of final consonant cluster simplification):

A man wanting to borrow another man's newspaper asks: "Are you finished?"

And the other man replies: "No, I'm Norwegian."

(Words ending in consonant clusters such as 'finished' are frequently subject to simplification by both native and non-native speakers. In this case it would sound like 'finish' or the homophonous 'Finnish' - another Scandinavian nationality along with Norwegian and the source (sauce?) of the joke.

The phenomenon of dark /l/ vocalisation is common in many accents of English, including those of native speakers. There is the story of the London-born child who grew up thinking his father's name was Water (it was actually Walter, but the /l/ sound was completely and consistently lost). And here's the joke:

A man went to see his psychiatrist. "When I wake up, I keep on finding that I have black lines all down my body," the man said. "I know the problem," the psychiatrist told him. "You're a psychopath."

(Vocalised dark /l/ tends to be pronounced as a close back vowel, with the result that cycle path sounds similar to psychopath. Source: Phonetics Through Jokes collected by David Deterding: http://videoweb.nie.edu.sg/phonetic/pho ... tm#vocal-l)