Correção de frase: People only allowed leave home for limited purposes

Gostaria de saber se essa questão que minha professora pediu pra traduzir está correta:

People only allowed leave home for limited purposes.

O correto não seria adicionar o to antes do verbo. Esse only não deveria ser antes do sujeito?

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
It´s correct and you are correct in your guess too.

The preposition ‘to’ is not normally used before the word home, so you will see both forms being used. So, the verb sometimes comes with the preposition following it, sometimes not. With the word "home" is a case in point of the latter.
The same goes to the negative form: "He's also not allowed leave home between 8pm and 6am but is free to accept visitors.

So, both ways are used, please don´t sue your teacher over that. ;-)

The "only" is proper as it is, if it would be placed before the subject it would change the general meaning: of "pessoas só sáo permitidas/autorizadas..." to "somente pessoas...

I hope this helps!
Leonardo96 19 293
He is referring to whether or not there should be the preposition "to" before "leave", not "home". Yes, there's a "to" missing so the sentence is incorrect.

People are only allowed to leave for limited purposes.

I also added "are" after "people" because it sounds better to me that way, but you could do without it. The "areless" version is probably more commonly used in headlines and things of the sort, you're not likely to hear it in a casual conversation between two people. But "allowed leave home" is just gramatically incorrect, anyone who knows English and reads this will instantly know it's missing a "to". If your teacher left it out by accident and didn't notice it it's okay, but if she actually believes that sentence is correct, you'd better start questioning her credentials, haha.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I agree with Leonardo, I was mistaken on that one, got the wrong rule.

Incidentally, I learned that there´s an explanation for the use of "allow" without the infinitive (without TO) given the example of "He was allowed go home early" (of course, erroneously used - "He was allowed to go home early" being the correct form).
It was pointed out that at least the Irish tends to pronounce the pair d/t at the end of the word, this way "allowe[d]" would somehow combine with "to" quickly and it would sound like "allowed go". That is, the "ed" at the end of allowed would "kill" the "to" sound when spoken quickly (but indeed it would have been spoken "allowed to go").
Of course, that is an explanation not a justification or excuse for my mistake. :-)
By the way, the two forms are found elsewhere (and bother the grammarians), most likely for the above reason, but the spell checkers flag it to be corrected.
And last but not least, congrats Edson, for being such an observant learner!
My teacher told me that the to is lacking because the sentence is in the simple present
Thanks for the answers
Leonardo96 19 293
Edson inocencio escreveu: 08 Abr 2020, 19:20 My teacher told me that the to is lacking because the sentence is in the simple present
Thanks for the answers
Wow... Can you do me a huge favor and ask her where exactly she learned that? Since when are you not supposed to use "to" when the sentence is in "simple present"? You might want to consider taking classes elsewhere because this teacher of yours doesn't seem qualified in the slightest. You always have to use "to" after "allow" if a verb comes after it no matter the circumstance.

You're not allowed to smoke here -Correct
You're not allowed smoke here- Wrong, this sentence structure does not exist.

I'm facepalming so hard right now... This is why the majority of people in Brazil never get anywhere near fluency in English, not only is their approach to learning it not optimal, a lot of the people in charge of teaching them are not even qualified to do so. And don't take this personally, you're not to blame, this is only about your "teacher".
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
Thanks Leonardo, the thing is that I study at a public School so I can't choose my teacher, but I am a self learner and what I know is from YouTube and movies
And I really appreciate the help
Leonardo96 19 293
Edson inocencio escreveu: 08 Abr 2020, 23:46 Thanks Leonardo, the thing is that I study at a public School so I can't choose my teacher, but I am a self learner and what I know is from YouTube and movies
And I really appreciate the help
I see. Keep learning it the way you do because anyone relying solely on that teacher would be setting themselves up for failure, if she thinks saying "allowed leave" is correct, who knows how many more mistakes she's made.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Edson, first of all congrats on your use of English, there are plenty of learners around that certainly pay for classes and out of fear (don´t want to be/feel ashamed by public scrutiny) they write solely in Portuguese. So, congrats on that.
Second thing is, learn from your teacher, without her and despite what she teaches (despite her).
Don´t let her mistakes get in the way of your apprenticeship (you have English Experts and other places to clarify things), make the most of what is offered to you and have extra classes (paid classes if you can or when you can).
I am also glad that you (and I) have learned the correct way (here) but I can relate to other people that would make that mistake - since they are in good company - a sizeable number of natives also do (even being an error).
Of course, not a justification here, but everyone makes mistakes, we from the EE included.
Develop critical thinking, mental filters and when you feel something is amiss, feel free to ask around.
Don´t throw the baby with the bathwater. We are sure that you will learn many other things in a satisfatory way, make that a step to go ahead in your learning. Good luck with your studies and count on us.