Correção de texto: A letter to an ex-boyfriend

A letter to an ex-boyfriend (text inspired by Chico Buarque’s song: Olhos nos olhos)

Yesterday I was told you saw me on last Friday night, you told your friends I looked pretty and seemed well, but something didn’t convince you about my happiness (maybe your ego, who knows?).
Do you really think that I cannot be happy without you? Did you think that my sadness wouldn’t have and end? I won’t lie to you, our broken up was really painful for me, you gave me the classic excuse that wasn’t me, it was you. Yes, it was you. It was you the only one who decided our love story had to end. You told me: go and be happy without me. At the begin, I thought I wouldn’t get over, I wouldn’t be happy anymore, I thought I would going crazy; but later I decided to do what I was already used to do: following your advice. I went to be happy. I stopped looking for you at every corner; I gave up of waiting for your calls. I even started flirt with another men and surprised myself that I wasn’t crying every night anymore. I didn’t tear all your photos or gave the presents I received from you to another people, because for good or for bad you are part of the story of my life and I won’t deny it, I can’t; but now it is everything you are: a part of the story of my life. In the past, of course. I cleaned my bedroom yesterday and saw your photo by chance. Nothing was what I felt. I wore the perfume you gave me and only realized it later. Do you know why? I just don’t care about you anymore. A lot of good things happened from our broken up until now. Men loved me much more and much better than you. Sometimes I take myself singing and even don’t know why. Yes, I am good without you as you could saw on last Friday night. I’m sorry if you can’t handle see me so well without you, without suffering for you.

ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
2 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Just a tentative answer, or a passing commentary, if you wish.

The song was writen by Chico Buarque, to Betania; who first sang it in two versions, then it was recorded. Only then, Chico started to sing it too. If memory serves me well.

============
Yesterday I was told you saw me on last Friday night, and that you had said to your friends how fine and pretty I looked withougt him. But then, but something told you that the pretending wasn´t working. Deeping inside you knew that I sad/unhappy [deeping inside you knew better, that I wasn´t happy at all/that I was unhappy but was putting a brave face/that I had not moved on...yada yada yada] (maybe your [hurt] ego speaking? who knows?)

Do you really think that I cannot be happy without you? Did you think that my sadness wouldn’t have and end? I won’t lie to you, our broken up was really painful for me, you gave me the classic/proverbial excuse that wasn’t me, it was you. Yes, it was you.
It was you the only one who decided our love story had to end. You told me: go and be happy without me.
At the beginning, I thought I wouldn’t ever get over, I wouldn’t be happy anymore, I thought I would go crazy; but later I decided to do what I was already used to do: follow your advice. I started seeking (my) happiness. I stopped looking for you at every corner; I gave up ( ) waiting for your calls. I even started flirting other men /another man and surprisingly realized suddenly that I wasn’t crying every night anymore.

I didn’t tear all your photos or gave the presents I received from you to somebody else, because for good or for bad, you are part of the story of my life; I won’t deny it, I can’t. But now that´s all you are[ But that´s what you mean now - a little bit of the story of my life. In the past, of course.
I cleaned my bedroom yesterday and, by chance, I saw your photo. I felt nothing. I wore the perfume you gave me and only realized it later. Do you know why? I just don’t care about it/you anymore. A lot of good things happened since our breaking up until now. [1] Other men loved me much more and much better than you. Sometimes I caught myself singing, without realizing why (I was doing that).
Yes, I am doing good without you as you could see (on) last Friday night. I’m sorry if you can’t see me so well without you, without suffering for you.

Yes, I am doing good without you as you could see (on) last Friday night. I’m sorry if you can’t cope with seeing me so well without you, without suffering for you.

...I’m sorry if you can’t cope with seeing me doing so well/doing fine without you, without suffering for you.
...I’m sorry that can´t accept the fact of seeing me so well without you, without suffering for you.
...I’m sorry if you can’t live with the fact of seeing me so well without you, without suffering for you.

[1]It´s a bit puzzling to find an expression here, because what the music meant? other men made xxx, or truly loved her, dated her, or both? and would really other men love her? understand her, respect her? if so, why she bother to recall/remember the past relationship? that´s more: why didn´t she pick one of those guys to herself? (Althought "Liz" Taylor was married eight times, to seven husbands)...
Anyway, yes, I am inclined to keep your piece of text at this point, as it is.

==================================
Good inspiration, thought. Congrats on your job, your English and writing skills really are getting good.
You just need to study more some topics, like verbs, etc. All in all, you did well.

I hope more Forum guys polish it further.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Oops!
Good ,inspiration, though., was what I meant, about the text being inspired in the Chico Buarque´s song, written by him to Maria Betania, and then turning into a hit, he himself adopted the tune in his shows and LP records (vinyl at the time).
Thanks.