Correção de texto: Abstract (final assignment)

1 11 33
Hi there!

Estou finalmente concluindo meu TCC :D :D :D
Traduzi o Resumo, que aparece logo no começo, mas gostaria de ter certeza antes de enviá-lo para minha orientadora.

Alguém poderia por gentileza verificar e indicar possíveis alterações ou correções?
Se alguma parte não ficou clara, o texto original segue logo após em português.

MUITO obrigado!

ABSTRACT

This study was developed in order to understand what the main reasons to use the bicycle as a mean of transportation in Porto Alegre are. In a context characterized by every-day-larger traffic jams and with the traffic in big urban centers more and more chaotic, alternatives have gained visibility. One of the protagonists is the bicycle, with its various benefits. To achieve the stated objectives, an exploratory research of qualitative nature was carried out, with in-depth semi structured interviews with twelve individuals from the city of Porto Alegre, who use the bicycle as a mean of transportation at least once a week. Through the results of the researches, it was found that among the reasons for bicycle usage are benefits related to health, time saving, agility, economic accessibility, environment, collective consciousness and freedom. Besides the reasons, this study aims to understand what the main difficulties on cycling in the city are as well as which elements would stimulate the bicycle usage as a mean of transportation among the respondents. Finally, suggestions were given to the stakeholders, aiming to encourage, popularize and naturalize the use of bicycle in Porto Alegre. In summary, this study seeks to inspire and be used as a reference to upcoming researches and assignments that discourse about the bicycle as well as serving as basis for projects that cover this mean of transportation, either in Porto Alegre or in other cities.

Key-words: Urban mobility; Bicycle; Cycling; Motivations; Porto Alegre

RESUMO

O presente trabalho foi realizado a fim de compreender quais são as principais motivações para uso de bicicleta como meio de locomoção em Porto Alegre. Em um contexto caracterizado por engarrafamentos cada vez mais extensos e com o trânsito nos grandes centros urbanos cada vez mais caótico, alternativas para o quadro têm ganhado visibilidade. Uma das protagonistas é a bicicleta, com seus diversos benefícios. Para alcançar os objetivos estabelecidos, foi realizada uma pesquisa exploratória de natureza qualitativa com entrevistas em profundidade semiestruturadas com doze indivíduos da cidade de Porto Alegre que utilizam a bicicleta como meio de transporte ao menos uma vez por semana. Através dos resultados da pesquisa, verificou-se que dentre motivos para o uso da bicicleta estão benefícios relacionados à saúde, a economia de tempo, a agilidade, a acessibilidade econômica, o meio-ambiente, a consciência coletiva e a liberdade. Além das motivações, o estudo buscou compreender as principais dificuldades enfrentadas ao pedalar na cidade e quais elementos estimulariam o uso da bicicleta como meio de transporte entre os respondentes. Por fim, foram dadas sugestões aos stakeholders visando encorajar, popularizar e naturalizar o uso da bicicleta em Porto Alegre. Em síntese, esse estudo busca inspirar e servir como referência para posteriores trabalhos que discorram sobre a bicicleta, bem como apresentar-se como base para projetos que envolvam este meio de transporte, em Porto Alegre ou outras cidades.

Palavras-chave: Mobilidade Urbana; Bicicleta; Ciclismo; Motivações; Porto Alegre

POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
6 49 1.3k
The last two paragraphs are my comments and views. In the middle of the body of the message, it´s a suggestion to your writing. But, it´s only a suggestion, if we had a hundred posters here perhaps we would have a hundred different ways to say that same, or even in different directions.
Anyway, your In a context characterized by every-day-larger traffic jams and with the traffic in big urban centers more and more chaotic... Could be used. I am letting you know, so you don´t think that it was a correction here and that the former way was wrong, it´s not about wrong and right here. It´s about new ideas and perhaps enriching it with more details.
It´s up to the writer to leave what can be left and keep what seems more relevant. Or even, mix or combine some ideas.
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
6 49 1.3k
Congrats on your academical achievement!
I am going take the first part, and then by degrees, since I am not learned on the academic prose, so take my pointers for what they are: just pointers, suggestions or ideas to begin with. I myself have read some sites on thesis statements and writing to get myself a bit more acquainted with it.
Sites like these ones:
https://www.th-wildau.de/fileadmin/doku ... nglish.pdf
http://www.cws.illinois.edu/workshop/wr ... ps/thesis/
This study was developed in order to understand what the main reasons to use the bicycle as a mean of transportation in Porto Alegre.
A suggestion:
This study major goal is to analyze/examine critically the key factors that lead people to use bicycle as a means of tranportation in Porto Alegre. (a) Along with its importance and advantage over other transport modes.
(a) Here was a bit of guesswork, chances are that the respondents/interviewees find it important and advantageous cycling as a means of transport. And I was prompted to think so afterwards by the mentioned words " health, time saving, agility, economic accessibility, environment, collective consciousness and freedom."
So, I think it´s the mindset there, and saying so wouldn´t compromise your neutrality, since you are just giving account of their psyché and thoughts. Anyway, you may or may not leave it out.
6 49 1.3k
"This study major goal is to analyze/examine critically the key factors that lead people to use bicycle as a means of tranportation in Porto Alegre."
(a) If you get concerned not to generalize, you can reword it into "that lead the studied group/the selected group", etc. That is, if you think the reader could think that you are "stretching" and claiming that "all people/the majority of the people in Porto Alegre" was led to use bicycle at the time of your study, or these days. Some would get it as it is, others may not, I am letting you know just in case.
Plus, in announcing your topic you claimed that your work/paper main goal was "to understand the main reasons...", hence one topic of my rewording, because some action was needed, only understanding is not sufficient. In my critical point of view, of course.
6 49 1.3k
In a context characterized by every-day-larger traffic jams and with the traffic in big urban centers more and more chaotic, alternatives have gained visibility.
Heavy traffic is becoming a main issue to the population of the Brazilian largest urban centers and cities. So bad traffic is a growing concern in our capital (or - our city - or something like that) as well, a problem compounded by a population more and more car reliant population along with the lack of an effective public transport structure. Then, bicycling is gaining visibility and attention as a doable solution to flee the traffic jams, to mitigate the chaos of bad traffic and one alternative to driving, at individual level.

I have here made some distinction between traffic jams, and a more slight "bad/heavy traffic" because, to my thinking, a heavy traffic may lead to a traffic jam (a gridlocked traffic). Whereas having a congested traffic not always means that you have a traffic jam, albeit both events are very much linked.
Anyway, you can have cases in which the traffic is slowed "a stop-and-go" because of repais in a road, for example, and not being different from a "traffic jam" (perhaps a truck accident happened, then it gridlocked). See?