Correção de texto: But that's not my real name

But that's not my real name

My friends always call me by my nickname. I don't mind about it, but the problem is that when a new person meets me through them, he/she thinks that my nickname is my real name. I always have to explain to him/her that he/she can call me by my nickname but that's not my real name.

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
1 2 23
My friends always call me by my nickname.
call me by my nickname is absolutely correct. You would use "the nickname" in this context if you are referring to a particular nickname. For example: "My friends always call me by the nickname Redneck Billy Bob.

I don't mind about it, but the problem is that when a new person meets me through them, he/she thinks that my nickname is my real name.

Although "when a new person meets me through them" makes sense, this structure is a little bit awkward. I think it would sound more natural if you were to say something like this: I don't mind being called by my nickname. However, problems arise when my friends use Redneck Billy Bob to introduce me to someone because they think that's my real name. I always have to explain.....
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
6 49 1.3k
Fine with me, QC-passed. I would just change it a bit, in the first line.

Yours: My friends always call me by my nickname.
Mine: My friends always call me by the nickname.

This bit also could be changed:
Yours:
I always have to explain to him/her that he/she can call me by my nickname but that's not my real name

Mine:
I always have to explain to him/her that he/she can use the/my nickname [can use any other name] to call me. Only/except that it´s not my real name.

1) I think one presumes the nickname is yours, they certainly wouldn´t call you by the nickname of somebody else.

2) When you use he/she to make it inpersonal, you can use "they", for example: They think my nickname is the real/my true name. Anyway, I will leave that bit of grammar to Adonay, Tradutora, Telma, Thomas and others to elaborate more.

These are just some advice to let you know that you can change things a tad, so your English gets a bit more colourful and natural. And less repetitive in the process. I mean, you don´t have to repeat "by my nickname" twice in a piece of text, if you don´t wish to, of course.

It was supposed to be just the first line, but I kept going...excuse me! :D
Thank you very much PPAULO! :-)
6 49 1.3k
Glad it helped.
5 16
I would say ''I don't mind it'' rather than ''I don't mind about it''. Am I right? or can I use both?
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
Mind: BE UPSET/ ANNOYED
[T, I] (used especially in questions or with negatives; not used in the passive) to be upset, annoyed or worried by sth

~ (sth) I don't mind the cold—it's the rain I don't like.
I hope you don't mind the noise.
He wouldn't have minded so much if she'd told him the truth.

~ about sth

Did she mind about not getting the job?
why should she mind about a few snubs from people she disliked?
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/mind
Oxford Dictionaries

Longman, Macmillan and The Free Dictionary don't mention anything ... :?