Correção de texto: Carnival

Hiii. I've sent this message in an app:

One of the major events in Brazil is Carnival. Carnival is famous for its joy and different kinds of dance. It happens every year and generally in February. Every year Carnival brings together people from all cultures that's why it can be considered as the biggest festive event in Brazil.

And I've received this correction:

One of the major events in Brazil is the Carnival. The Carnival is famous for its joy and different kinds of dance. It happens every year and generally in February. Every year the Carnival brings the people from all cultures together that's why it can be considered as the biggest festivity in Brazil.

I have three questions: is it right use "the" before "Carnival", once Carnival is a personal name in this case? Do I really need to separate the phrasal verb "bring together" in this case? If the answer is yes, why do I need to do it? Further, the way how I used "festive" is wrong?

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
13 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
3 22
GiovanaSP escreveu: 18 Out 2020, 00:31 Thank you very much, Leonardo.

Is there any rule about to separate or not to separate the phrasal verb?

I know that this kind of question doesn't make much sense, once over time I was able to get used to with each of the main phrasal verbs commonly used in English, but I'd like to know if there's any rule so that I can learn to use it faster.

If my writing is confused, let me know. As you can see, I still don't deal writing texts very well.
Hi Giovana!

When the phrasal verb is formed by the verb plus two prepositions, we never split them up; for instance, "Sometime, we have to put up with difficulty situations at work"/"Sometimes, we have to put up with it".
However, when it comes to phrasal verbs formed by a verb and a single preposition, things a little bit different. Those phrasal verbs which have an object as a complement may be split or not.Roughly speaking, you can put the object between the verb and the preposition, unless that object is too longo, i.e., formed by three or more words. By saying that, let's compare two sentences:

A) John is going to pick up his mother at the airport
B) John is going to pick his mother up at the airport

Compare these sentences to the following:

C) John is going to pick up all the musicians and their instruments at the airport
D) *John is going to pick all the musicians and their instruments up at the airport

However, even some phrasal verbs consisting of a verb and just one preposition cannot be separated, for example, "look after", "run into", "get in/off/out". Is there any rule? Hard to say...in this case, you'd better learn their proper usage.
INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
19 293
Carnival is the name of a festival, not of a person or city/country, so there's nothing wrong with using the article "the" before it. You could say "brings together" like that but moving "together" to the end of the sentence does sound better and more natural, but whoever corrected your text was wrong for not removing the article "the" before people. "Every year the Carnival brings people from all cultures together". This is better. Nothing wrong with saying "festive event" per se but people just don't usually say it and the most commonly used form of what you meant is festivity, hence the correction. Also, you could ditch the "as" after "considered". "Considered as" is not necessary.
Thank you very much, Leonardo.

Is there any rule about to separate or not to separate the phrasal verb?

I know that this kind of question doesn't make much sense, once over time I was able to get used to with each of the main phrasal verbs commonly used in English, but I'd like to know if there's any rule so that I can learn to use it faster.

If my writing is confused, let me know. As you can see, I still don't deal writing texts very well.
19 293
I'm not sure if this is a rule per se, I'm not good with grammar but usually only when the phrasal verb has "up/down/off/on/in" etc do people usually keep them together in sentences, and seeing as "together" doesn't classify as that type of word keeping "brings together" separated makes the sentence sound better. Again, not sure if this is like a written rule and if it applies to all situations ,the important thing is to just try to develop a natural feel for the language and to pick up those things naturally without having to know whether or not something is correct because of grammar rules.
Just a correction in my last message "...I'll be able...".

Again, thank you very much, Leonardo. It was really helpful.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
Thank you very much, Marcelo. It was really really useful, too. Now, when I come across with any phrasal verb, I'll noticing how it is used in context. It seems the best way to learn how phrasal verbs work.

Sorry for the delay. I couldn't see your message before. Is there any way for me to receive notifications on my cell phone?

By the way, the English Experts seems an awesome "tool" to learn English.
3 22
Sure thing!

Every time someone tvotes for your message or answer it, you get a notification in the e-mail. So, you're going to receive notifications on your mobile phone provided you access your e-mail on it.
Ok. Thank you, Marcelo.

Tem como "aceitar a resposta" do Leonardo também para que a mensagem dele fique "verde" igual a sua? É porque a resposta dele foi igualmente útil porém eu não sei o que fiz para deixar apenas a sua com a cor verde como ficou na resposta acima :).
6 49 1.3k
As the Carnival it was talking about is the Brazilian one, the article "the" can be used, would be even advisable.
In general it´s not necessary, though. When mentioning a specific case I advise to.
I would also replace the word Carnival by pronouns or relative pronouns, etc, so we wouldn´t keep repeating it. But then, it´s me. Others might improve it or comment on, let´s wait then.

One of the major events in Brazil is the Carnival. It is famous for its joy and different kinds of dance.

One of the major events in Brazil is the Carnival, which is famous for its joy and different kinds of dance.
6 49 1.3k
Tem como "aceitar a resposta" do Leonardo também para que a mensagem dele fique "verde" igual a sua? É porque a resposta dele foi igualmente útil porém eu não sei o que fiz para deixar apenas a sua com a cor verde como ficou na resposta acima
Excuse me for chiming in like this, but it happens automatically, and it´s not determined by the relevance of answer or its suitability.
The Forum ranking program 'know' you upvoted both answers. Don´t sweat the small stuff, the fact that you acknowledge both as apt to answer your question is what counts.
ENTENDENDO AS HORAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina vários macetes para você nunca mais se confundir na hora de dizer as horas em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
PPAULO escreveu: 19 Out 2020, 12:04 As the Carnival it was talking about is the Brazilian one, the article "the" can be used, would be even advisable.
In general it´s not necessary, though. When mentioning a specific case I advise to.
I would also replace the word Carnival by pronouns or relative pronouns, etc, so we wouldn´t keep repeating it. But then, it´s me. Others might improve it or comment on, let´s wait then.

One of the major events in Brazil is the Carnival. It is famous for its joy and different kinds of dance.

One of the major events in Brazil is the Carnival, which is famous for its joy and different kinds of dance.
Thank you very much, Paulo. I'll take note of your tips. It's funny because I'm get used to use "it" or "which" when it comes to avoiding unnecessary repetitions, but, for some reason, I didn't remember them.
PPAULO escreveu: 19 Out 2020, 12:55 Excuse me for chiming in like this, but it happens automatically, and it´s not determined by the relevance of answer or its suitability.
The Forum ranking program 'know' you upvoted both answers. Don´t sweat the small stuff, the fact that you acknowledge both as apt to answer your question is what counts.
Ok. I'm still learning how to use the forum :).
6 49 1.3k
Glad that I could be of help, Giovana. I myself learn a lot here. Feel at home.