Correção de texto em português reescrito em inglês.

Texto original :(Trecho de Leite Derramado, de Chico Buarque)

Quando eu sair daqui, vamos nos casar na fazenda da minha feliz infância, lá na raiz da serra. Você vai usar o vestido e o véu da minha mãe, e não falo assim por estar sentimental, não é por causa da morfina. Você vai dispor dos rendados, dos cristais, da baixela, das joias e do nome da minha família. Vai dar ordens aos criados, vai montar no cavalo da minha antiga mulher. E se na fazenda ainda não houver luz elétrica, providenciarei um gerador para você ver televisão. Vai ter também ar condicionado em todos os aposentos da sede, porque na baixada hoje em dia faz muito calor. Não sei se foi sempre assim, se meus antepassados suavam debaixo de tanta roupa. Minha mulher, sim, suava bastante, mas ela já era de uma nova geração e não tinha a austeridade da minha mãe.

Em inglês:

When I get out of here let's get married on the farm of my happy childhood, right in the middle of the ridge. You'll wear my mother's dress and veil, I'm not talking this way for being sentimental and It's not because of the morphine. You'll have lacy , crystals, serving set , jewelry and my family's name. You'll give orders to the servants and ride the horse of my former wife. If there is no eletricity on the farm I'll provide a generator so you can watch television. There will also be ar conditioning in every room of the main building (Sede da fazenda ?) because nowadays it's very hot in the valley (baixada?). I don't know if it was always like this, if my ancestry sweated under so many clothes. My wife, yes, sweated a lot, but she was already of a new generation and hadn't the austerity of my mother.

Aguardo correções, obrigado.

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
9 65 608
I found this English version of Chico Buarque's book "Leite Derramado", by Alison Entrekin. I don't think you can get better than this:

"When I get out of here, we'll get married on the farm where we spent my happy childhood, over at the foot of the mountains. You'll wear my mother's dress and veil and I'm not saying this because I'm feeling sentimental, it's not the morphine speaking. You'll have my family's lace, crystal, jewel and name at your disposal. You'll give orders to the servants, ride my late wife's horse. And if there's still no electricity on the farm, I'll have a generator installed so you can watch TV. There'll also be air conditioning in every room of the farmhouse, because it's very hot in the coastal flats these days. I don't know if it's always been so, if my ancestors sweated under all those clothes. My wife sweated a lot, but she was of a new generation and didn't have my mother's austerity".

http://www.amazon.com/Spilt-Milk-Chico- ... 0802122000

(By the way, you've done a good job on your translation)
CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
Uma última dúvida, o trecho "but she was of a new generation and didn't have my mother's austerity". não me parece tão condizente com a frase "mas ela JÁ era de uma nova geração e não tinha a austeridade da minha mãe." tanto que se eu fosse traduzir essa frase, ficaria : "Mas ela era de uma nova geração e não possuia a austeridade de minha mãe." como eu poderia reproduzir essa ênfase da palavra "já" em inglês ? A única forma que consegui pensar foi " but she was already of a new generation" porém isso soa um pouco estranho pra mim...
6 49 1.3k
but she was of a new generation and didn't have my mother's austerity".

"But" does the trick, it somewhat implies that the sentence afterwards is the equivalent to the Portuguese "já" (on the other hand).
Hence, with "mas ela já era de outra geração..." means "mas ela, por outro lado, era de outra geração"/mas ela, por sua vez, era de outra geração/mas ela, pelo contrário era de outra geração/mas ela, ao contrário, era de outra geração...

It stablishes a contrast between his mother and his former/ex-wife, perhaps the song hints to the wife-to-be that she may have a choice in the matter of sweating, and somewhat he hints that his mother didn´t sweated on those clothes because she was austere. Unlike his former wife.

As if austerity wouldn´t make you sweat under heavier clothes. Go figure!

It also may (or may not) suggest that she doesn´t have a say about using the dress, since the dress was also used by the previous woman of his life. So, she doesn´t have a choice in this one.