Correção de texto: going through the memories

Pergunta sobre a expressão "going through the memories".

A frase abaixo faz sentido, quero dizer, mesmo que não esteja escrita em um inglês coloquial ela poderia ser usada? Ou está completamente errada? Estou tentando "enfeitar" um certo toque literário à frase mas estou em dúvida se não estaria complicando demais e acabando por produzir uma frase sem sentido. Eis a frase...

After the crime was solved he spent a long time alone on his office, going through the memories of what seemed to him to have been one of the most intricate cases he had ever worked on.

Agradeço antecipadamente.

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You can use it, not grammatically wrong. But it seems a bit formal, one could think of it as pedantic, others would get impressed and say that you are refined or intellectual.
So, in a speech to an academic audience it´s okay; in a formal remembrance of someone, for example, it´s okay too.
In a novel, at the beggining I think they don´t would use it (as a first choice of words), but then in the middle or afterwards it could be normal. Some detective book as the ones with Poirot and Co, it could be expected.

As for making sense, nothing is wrong with that part, I would just redo some punctuation. Plus some other little corrections for clarity and brevity:

After the crime having been solved, he spent a long time alone on his office.
Here he was, going through the memories of what seemed - to him - one of the most intricate cases he had ever worked on.
That's was really amazing.. Thanks again for all the clarifications and insights.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I am glad that you like! Thanks for appreciating our work. It´s great and rewarding to share some of my little knowledge of English.