Correção de texto: political parties

Olá, foi-me pedido que resumisse/sumarizasse o seguinte texto:

"A political party is an official organization of people who have similar opinions about politics. Two parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, have had the main power over the U.S. political system since it was founded. Yet many Americans do not know the real purpose of political parties, beyond that of winning elections. They exist for two main reasons. The first is to give the common citizen influence over the policy-making decisions of the country, such as helping to determine which laws get passed. Political parties give like-minded individuals a powerful way to express their opinions. Second, political parties attempt to resolve conflicts caused by the people within the parties who have different opinions. Otherwise, these conflicts could have the potential to bring about serious disagreement and divide the people in the parties. They encourage individuals to put aside their smaller differences and instead, find a common interest in the larger issues. Thus, political parties directly affect the way the government operates by bringing citizens together to express their opinions, and in doing so, influence policy decisions in the U.S."

Gostaria que me apontassem se cometi erros muito grosseiros:

People with similar opinions about politics use to organize themselves in organizations named political parties. In the US, since their fundation, there's two main parties: Democrats and Republicans. However, in addition to contest elections, political parties have other functions, which are unknown to many americans. First, throught political parties, ordinary citizens can influence the country. Second, they gather people with similar ideas, even though they present minor differences in thoughts. So political parties change how the government oparates through people.

Em especial, vieram-me as seguintes dúvidas:
Posso utilizar "in addition" neste caso?
"So" substitui "Thus"?
Quais as diferenças entre "gather", "reunion" e "assemble"?
O google sugeriu "minor" onde eu havia pensado em "small" ou "little"
O último "through" deveria ser substituído por "by" no sentido de "através das pessoas"?

Obrigado.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39165 6 32 684
We can define organized groups of people with similar opinions as political parties. In the US, since their fundation, there are two main/major parties: The Democrat* and The Republican*. However, in addition to contest elections, political parties have other functions, which are unknown to many Americans. First, throught political parties, ordinary citizens can influence the country policies**. Second, they gather people with similar ideas, even though they present minor differences in thoughts/thinking. So, political parties change how the government operates through people.

*In some sites they get them spelled The Democrats and The Republicans. For it may be tought as a unit (without an "S") or as a group (taking the plural form.)

**Policies - políticas publicas, política de saúde, de trânsito, de segurança pública etc. Nada a ver com política, o sistema de partidos etc.

On the whole and in general, your text gives a pretty good impression. Keep up the good job. :D

Em especial, vieram-me as seguintes dúvidas:
Posso utilizar "in addition" neste caso? Yes.

"So" substitui "Thus"? depends on context, in this piece of text, the change doesn´t do any harm to it.

O Google sugeriu "minor" onde eu havia pensado em "small" ou "little".
In your text you could use any of them.

O último "through" deveria ser substituído por "by" no sentido de "através das pessoas"?
If you had to change, I would suggest "by way of" people. Anyway it is good, the way it is (it´s my thinking, tough).

Quais as diferenças entre "gather", "reunion" e "assemble"?
I´ll let this matter to others, more advanced learners, teacher or natives. Anyway you can have a clue by looking up some thesaurus dictionary, here one:

http://thesaurus.com/browse/gather?s=t

In truth, they can be used interchangeably in your text, provided that in "They gather people with similar ideas..." gather is replaced by "reunite" (not reunion - that is a noun, not a verb.)