Correção de texto "Swimming class"

Please correct my text:

Today I returned to my swimming classes. I was shocked when I seem that I was the only guy in the pool. I think that the others have been traveling in this days. So, my instructor give two different moves today. One is very tiresome and the other made a lot water entered my nose. But it was cool learn some different.

APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
12 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Draylson,

Sugestões de melhoria para seu texto:

Today I returned to my swimming classes. I was shocked when I saw that I was the only guy in the pool. I think that the others are away at the moment. So, my instructor gave me two different moves to practice today. One is very tiring and the other got a lot of water in my nose. But it was cool to learn something different.

Bem-vindo ao fórum!
Obrigado donay mendonça! :-)
dlr 1
usually swimming "classes" are called lessons. "classes" isn't wrong, but to me "lessons" sounds more natural.

"I take swimming lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays."
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
dlr escreveu:usually swimming "classes" are called lessons. "classes" isn't wrong, but to me "lessons" sounds more natural.

The more I read about "class" and "lesson" the more confused I get - as Mr. Henry Cunha can well relate.
:(
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Flavia.lm escreveu:
dlr escreveu:usually swimming "classes" are called lessons. "classes" isn't wrong, but to me "lessons" sounds more natural.

The more I read about "class" and "lesson" the more confused I get - as Mr. Henry Cunha can well relate.
:(
Indeed. Remind me, Flavia, where is that other discussion, if you can find it.

I'm tempted to suggest any of these are ok:

I have a swimming class (singular) on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I have swimming lessons on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I take a swimming class (singular) on...
I take swimming lessons on...

My swimming class meets on...
My swimming lessons are on...

The class (a regularly scheduled gathering of people for instruction) is the same. The lessons may differ from class to class.

Regards
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
dlr 1
consider these examples:

"I'm taking a class with Professor ....."
"I take classes at night because I work during the day."
"I never took art classes."
"Today's class is about supply and demand."

"Today's lesson is about supply and demand."
"I teach guitar lessons sometimes."
"I'll teach you a lesson!"
"Private lessons with a tutor can help your grades."

So their meanings do overlap somewhat, but "lessons" generally mean "formal instruction" while "class" generally means "group of people being instructed together". Será que é a mesma diferência de "aula" e "lição"?
Flavia.lm 1 10 100
dlr escreveu:consider these examples:

"I'm taking a class with Professor ....."
"I take classes at night because I work during the day."
"I never took art classes."
"Today's class is about supply and demand."

"Today's lesson is about supply and demand."
"I teach guitar lessons sometimes."
"I'll teach you a lesson!"
"Private lessons with a tutor can help your grades."

So their meanings do overlap somewhat, but "lessons" generally mean "formal instruction" while "class" generally means "group of people being instructed together". Será que é a mesma diferência de "aula" e "lição"?
*diferença

Não, não é a mesma diferença. If I were to translate your examples, I'd use "lição" only in "I'll teach you a lesson". All others are "aulas" in Pt. Now you can understand why I'm so confused...
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
I agree with DLR. I agree with Flavia too! So how do we translate the following?

Eu tenho aula hoje. = I have classes today.
Ele não dá aula hoje. = He doesn't teach today. / He doesn't have a class (to teach) today.
A aula de inglês hoje foi uma lição sobre o subjuntivo. = Today's English class (lesson) was a lesson on the subjunctive.
Eu tenho essa matéria todo dia de aula. = I have that subject every class day. / I have that class every school day.
A classe não entendeu a lição. = The class didn't understand the instruction (lesson).
Essa classe não teve aula hoje. = This class didn't meet today / have a class today.

Nothing could be clearer... ahem...
Complementando:

There is class tomorrow: tem aula amanhã
You're missing class too much: você está faltando aula demais
Classes are over: as aulas acabaram (estamos de férias)
I have class tomorrow: eu tenho aula amanhã
You won't have class next week: vocês não vão ter aula na semana que vem

* ''Class'' neste caso pode ser "uma aula" ou "várias aulas".
Thank you, guys!
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Is it right to say: "Expressions to use in class"
Is it right to say: "Expressions to use in class"
Sim, é correto.

''Make your own list of useful expressions to use in class - and learn it by heart.'' [Books Google - Jeannie McNeill, Steve Williams]