Correção: I used to have some friends over to celebrating

Hi everyone. I'm sorry about this long message. I swear that my doubt is simple but I don't know where I'm wrong :).

I have posted the following passage in an app that I use to study English.

It's been a long time since I last hosted a get-together with friends. Unfortunately, gone are the days when social distancing was not necessary as it is nowadays. At those days, I used to have some friends over to celebrating ours results in the college final exams or so complanaing about ours grades.

As a result, I have received the following corrections in bold:

It's been a long time since I last hosted a get-together with friends. Unfortunately, gone are the days when social distancing was not necessary as it is nowadays. In those days I used to have some friends over to celebrate our results on the college final exams or to complain about our grades.

A partir daqui eu vou escrever em português para eu não me atrapalhar com as palavras. Apesar de todas essas correções, eu gostaria de tirar apenas duas dúvidas.

1°) Por que em "... Some friends over to celebrating ..." é incorreto utilizar "to celebrating". Pergunto isso pelo seguinte: o "to" após o "over" seria a preposição "para". Em seguida teríamos "celebrar", isto é, para celebrar. Porém, o verbo "celebrar" em inglês ficaria "to celebrate". Para não termos um "to" seguido do outro, ou seja, um "to" para a preposição e outro "to" para o verbo, eu usei o "celebrating". Por que isso está errado?

2°) Semelhante a primeira dúvida. Por que eu não posso usar "complaining"?

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
9 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Let´s take care of the gerund vs infinitive thing first, it´s a common 'headache', he hee:

When referring to a person (or persons) certain verbs usually take an indirect object plus infinitive:

[expect] They did not expect us to win an award.
[invite] We invite you to attend the ceremony.

Also notice that the verbs win/invite from the examples are actions (something to do), they don´t 'work' as the subject of the sentence as in "Walking is good for your health."

Further reading on the topic I would recommend. And it may come in handy to you in your future writings.
Ref. fluentu
Ref. advice.writing.utoronto
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
No caso do "ours", ele é diferente do "nosso/nossos" em português (e é o que tira o estudante brasileiro dos trilhos).
O "ours" tanto serve para traduzir "nosso" quanto "nossos". O "our" também, mas usamos o "ours" quando é possessivo de algo mencionado anteriormente.
"Your car is better than ours.
E é comum que o "ours' venha no final de frases, ainda que não necessariamente.

Mas se se referir a algo que você não mencionou antes (que é o caso na sua redação) então é "our" (não importando se o que viesse fosse plural ou não - 'result' ou "results").

Cf. Our x Ours: Qual a diferença

O "invite" or "invite over" casa bem com o "to celebrate", não precisa de duas preposições. Se quiser você pode pensar numa espécie de interseção aqui, pense que o que interessa é que tem o "invite" com ou sem "over".
Usualmente você usa "invite" para convidar (para um museu, cinema, etc) e "invite over" para algo mais específico, especial, etc "invite somebody over to your hourse." [de qualquer forma é um convite - associado ao o verbo "invite"].
De verdade, isso foi muito útil. Não é a primeira que eu me atrapalho com os gerúndios e infinitivos. Chegava a ser irritante hahaha. Creio que agora essas dúvidas vão diminuir bastante :). Muito obrigada, Paulo.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Glad that I could be of help. And thanks for your nice feedback.
I know gerund vs infinitive might be the cause of difficulty to many learners, I myself struggle with it sometimes. It´s so good when someone helps to get a load off our mind, ain´t it?
:-)
" It´s so good when someone helps to get a load off our mind, ain´t it?"

For sure! I've been studying English for six months and since then I've struggled with this problem hahaha.
MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
We are lucky that today sites like this, audio and visual aids, learners, teachers, can be accessible on the Web. It comes as a surprise that it took you so long to find something on the topic that would be fitting. :-)
Again, I am glad that your struggle with it came to an end. ;-)
It's because it has not been that long since I started to write in English. Before writing in English I only put effort in reading activities and vocabulary acquiring :).
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Ah, I got it. Okay then, and feel free to reach us when you have any questions. There are great guys around with insightful answers, many with years of experience under their belts. This is a great team.
Thank you!