Destiny x Fate: Qual a diferença

Hello everyone!
It's been a while since I have this doubt, and now that I was taking a look in some episodes of the 1st season of Lost, I saw Locke saying something like: Don't tell what I can't do! This is my destiny!

And then, I realized that I don't know the difference between these two words. Actually, I don't even know if there is any difference between them. Cause I listened to that song, I'm Yours, by Jason Mraz, and he sings: "This is our fate, Im yours". I guess is the same context, isn't it?

So, if anyone can help, I appreciate it.
Thanks, and see ya! :)

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
3 respostas
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
You will enjoy reading up on the usage of not only fate and destiny, but also of lot, portion, and doom. Please see below. They certainly share something in common, their senses at times overlapping. On the overall any extant difference, if any, feels about as palpable as the waning, flitting touch of light caught between night and day.

FATE, DESTINY, LOT, PORTION, and DOOM agree in signifying the condition or end decreed by a higher power.

FATE presupposes a determining supernatural or divine agency, as the gods, God, or the law of necessity, and usually implies inevitability, but can extend to include a human agency whose decision is finally determinative, in both applications usually implying a more or less adverse condition or end
<no matter how absurd or meaningless our fate may be, we still must accept it and play our role — J.M.O'Brien>
<through knowledge man can control his own fate — Abram Kardiner><it is the fate of all these lakes to disappear — American Guide Series: Minnesota>
<preparing for the end, for the final grim defense, when his men would retreat upon the one last strong fort, and there await their fate — Gilbert Parker>
<the fate of the congressional bill was uncertain>

DESTINY implies an irrevocable determination, course, or appointment, as by the will of the gods, but out of context specifies neither a good nor bad course or end, more often, possibly, implying a course conceived of as good by the one destined because it is conceived of as a natural fulfillment.
<not to impose their view of life upon any people but to inspire in all peoples an understanding of their common destiny — Stephen Duggan>
<for good or ill, that clubfoot, like the mark of Jason in her life, had been his destiny — Ellen Glasgow>
<always had with him, too, the special conviction of destiny--that his was a great age of history, and that he was born to act in and dominate these times — Henry Wallace>
<the conception of a lordly splendid destiny for the human race, to which we are false when we revert to wars and other atavistic folies — Bertrand Russell>

LOT and PORTION imply a distribution by fate or destiny, LOT suggesting more a blind chance, PORTION implying a more or less fair apportioning of good and evil.
<shunned extremes of passion or suffering, declaring that these were seldom the common lotEncyc. Americana>
<it fell to the lot of the United States to scrap thirty-two ships — C.E.Black & E.C.Helmreich>
<poverty was his portion all his days — Kemp Malone> <a feeling of guilty remorse was her daily portion — Susan Ertz>
<she is not the saint he deems it the portion of every creature wearing petticoats to be — George Meredith>

DOOM implies a final, usually grim and calamitous, award or fate.
<thirty-two brave men of Gonzales, who marched in even after the doom of the fort seemed certain — American Guide Series: Texas>
<lured unsuspecting ships to their doom on the rocks on dark and stormy nights — Richard Joseph>
<the poor beast's ribs stood out under a coating of snow as it stood there, awaiting its doom — F.V.W.Mason>

[Source: Webster's Third New International Dictionary on CD v.3.0]
Thanks a lot, Marcio!
Very helpful text. But let me see if I understood correctly.
I read the descriptions of fate and destiny, and both of them says like "a supernatural determination" or "a irrevocable determination". I looked them up in the dictionary, and it says:

Fate: Destino
Destiny: Destino [sina]

So I looked up for "sina" in the Portuguese Dictionary, and it says:

Sina: Destino

Then I got tired and state to myself: It's all the same, if it's not exacly the same, it's pretty similar. Heh!

Thanks for the help, thanks for the attention.
See ya! ;)
Fate, normalmente, refere-se a coisas ruins, a um predestinamento infeliz.
Destiny, normalmente, refere-se a coisas boas.

;)
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!