Of them x Their: Qual é a diferença?

Sempre tive curiosidade de saber qual a diferença entre 'of them' e 'their'.

INGLÊS PARA VIAGENS
A professora Marcela Miranda, mais conhecida como a Tia do Inglês, ensina nesta aula introdutória o vocabulário básico de inglês para viagens. Está se preparando para sua próxima viagem? A sua jornada começa aqui! ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
It is their dog (their - possessive meaning that the dog is of both of them).
Meaning "deles" (possession), something owned by them.

VW and Microsoft put their heads together in the digital cloud. (VW e Micrososof estão unindo esforços para, em conjunto, desenvolver projetos na nuvem digital)
So, "their" mean both heads, "it´s inclusive" the heads of two or more people, here the "heads" (minds) of the two organizations.
Parts of body are something we think in terms of possession: I have two arm, a head, a nose...

Marcio has many friends, John is one of them.
[it´s exclusionary, restrictive - I single out John, of all friends.]. In Portuguese would be deles, meaning DELES.
["Deles" aqui sendo a contração da preposição "de" com o pronome pessoal "ele" (no plural).]
Não entendi a parte do 'of them', poderia explicar de outra forma?
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
Okay, let´s change tack: “theirs” is a possessive pronoun, period. It´s already understood.

Of them –

We have to keep in mind that “them”, in this case, is used to refer to an object or clause described beforehand, as in “I’ve bought some apples. I’ll put them on the table.”

So, in “Marcio has many friends, John is one of them. “ THEM – is used to referring to “Marcio has many friends”, them is the object of “have” there. “OF” would be a preposition that was added to it, a preposition indicating a possessive connection.