Discurso indireto - reported speech: Como utilizar?

Wazzup guys? I read some topics in the forum but I still have some problems with "no backshift" (specially when using PERSON + SIMPLE PRESENT - HE SAYS THAT...), Its not clear to me in which moment should I use this.
I was studying this grammar in a book and found this:

- Theres no backshift of tenses when u r reporting something IN THE PRESENT. Examples:
(1) "I am trying to wash all the clothes" - He says (that) he IS TRYING to wash all the clothes
(2) "I like cooking" - He says (that) he LIKES cooking
(3) "We are lucky parents" - They said (that) they ARE lucky parents
(4) "I'll clean the house later" - He said (that) he WILL clean the house later

Numbers 3/4 are clear to me, because (in spoken english) in normal not to change tenses if the statement is still true, ryt?
Numbers 1/2 use this "HE SAYS THAT..." I just cant understand in which moment I use this part in the present or, normally, in the past.

I hope you understand my doubt, cause its even confusing to expose it, at least to me. :S

Thx in adv.

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
1 resposta
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Rcezar,

Tudo é uma questão de convívio. Nos estágios iniciais, você pode usar o português para adquirir referências.

(1) "I am trying to wash all the clothes" - He says (that) he IS TRYING to wash all the clothes
(2) "I like cooking" - He says (that) he LIKES cooking
(3) "We are lucky parents" - They said (that) they ARE lucky parents
(4) "I'll clean the house later" - He said (that) he WILL clean the house late.

1. Eu estou tentando lavar todas as roupas. Ele diz que está tentando levar todas as roupas.
2. Eu gosto de cozinhar. Ele diz que gosta de cozinhar.
3. Nós somos pais de sorte. Eles disseram que são pais de sorte.
4. Vou limpar a casa mais tarde. Ele disse que vai limpar a casa mais tarde.

Vejo que seria possível, com base nos exemplos dados, inverter os tempos verbais de 1/2 e 3/4.

1. He said that he is trying to wash all the clothes.
2. He said that he likes cooking.
3. They say that they are lucky parents.
4. He says that he will clean the house later.

Bons estudos!