Do you like poetry? What is your favorite poem?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Question: Do you like poetry? What is your favorite poem? Who's your favorite writer?

Answers:

- The ones I know by heart: "Amar", by Drummond. "Soneto de Fidelidade", by Vinicius de Moraes*, "The Road not Taken", by Robert Frost, “Amor é fogo…” by Camões.
- Anything written by Shakespeare;
- The ones I myself wrote :)

*Vinicius poetry in English.

Now it’s your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
I have two favorite poems and both of them reflect patriotism, one is, "The Charge of the Light Brigade" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, circa 1854, and the other is "The Defence of Fort McHenry" by Francis Scott Key, circa 1814. The former is narritave poem describing a heroic charge of a 600 man Light Calvery Brigade into the teeth of overwhelming enemy artillery during the Crimean War, and the latter is also a narrative poem which describes the English bombardment of Ft. McHenery, in Baltimore, Maryland during the War of 1812.

Shortly after "The Defense of Fort McHenery" was written it was set to the tune of a popular English drinking song and renamed the "Star Spangled Banner". In 1931 The Congress of the United States by formal resolution officially made the first and fourth stanzas the National Anthem, although only the first stanza is commonly sung today,the forth is used at very formal events.

Words to improve your vocabulary:
Circa
Former and Latter
Bombardment
Stanza(s)
Yes, I love it! I write poems a lot! And my teacher says I'm a good writer, so I keep writing, i don't know my favorite poem, actually, I don't read poems a lot, I just... write them! I don't know lol But I'm not used to read poems, but even though, I like it!
I don't used to read poem, but I like any writers with Vinicius de Moraes and Drummond. I would like to read more.
I do.
My favorite poem is The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe.
To be honest, I am not used to read poems, I can't understand them, perhaps it is because I am not used to read some, or because there are complex enough to us if we want to read them like a normal text, carelessly. I think we have to read them slowly, with passion, otherwise we can't understand them.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Funny Poem/Limerick Zezão

Of all poems and funny limericks
Zezão writes one that really ticks;
He climbs up a tree
To examine the sea,
Without resorting to walking sticks.

The other day he tried a new one
But woke up to find it was gone;
The wind had blown in,
Sweeping the table inn
Out onto a fine marble stone.

And now, often by peacemeal,
Zezão quickly slaps them together;
He does it with a pen
Hiding In the lion's den,
In spite of inclement weather.

-x-x-x-

You can do it it too. Why no try your hand at it?
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9970 2 17 177
w.slayman escreveu:I have two favorite poems and both of them reflect patriotism, one is, "The Charge of the Light Brigade" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, circa 1854, and the other is "The Defence of Fort McHenry" by Francis Scott Key, circa 1814. The former is narritave poem describing a heroic charge of a 600 man Light Calvery Brigade into the teeth of overwhelming enemy artillery during the Crimean War, and the latter is also a narrative poem which describes the English bombardment of Ft. McHenery, in Baltimore, Maryland during the War of 1812.

Shortly after "The Defense of Fort McHenery" was written it was set to the tune of a popular English drinking song and renamed the "Star Spangled Banner". In 1931 The Congress of the United States by formal resolution officially made the first and fourth stanzas the National Anthem, although only the first stanza is commonly sung today,the forth is used at very formal events.

Words to improve your vocabulary:
Circa
Former and Latter
Bombardment
Stanza(s)

Bill, I only recently learned that "America the Beautiful" (sung to the tune of "God Save the Queen") was the most popular American anthem until WW1, when US forces in Europe decided on something else to distinguish themselves from the British.

I like this simple version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxJClbR ... re=related

For God Save the Queen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9EC3Gy6Nk
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9970 2 17 177
Poetry
by Marianne Moore

I, too, dislike it: there are things that are important beyond
all this fiddle.
Reading it, however, with a perfect contempt for it, one
discovers in
it after all, a place for the genuine.
Hands that can grasp, eyes
that can dilate, hair that can rise
if it must, these things are important not because a

high-sounding interpretation can be put upon them but because
they are
useful. When they become so derivative as to become
unintelligible,
the same thing may be said for all of us, that we
do not admire what
we cannot understand: the bat
holding on upside down or in quest of something to

eat, elephants pushing, a wild horse taking a roll, a tireless
wolf under
a tree, the immovable critic twitching his skin like a horse
that feels a flea, the base-
ball fan, the statistician--
nor is it valid
to discriminate against "business documents and

school-books"; all these phenomena are important. One must make
a distinction
however: when dragged into prominence by half poets, the
result is not poetry,
nor till the poets among us can be
"literalists of
the imagination"--above
insolence and triviality and can present

for inspection, "imaginary gardens with real toads in them,"
shall we have
it. In the meantime, if you demand on the one hand,
the raw material of poetry in
all its rawness and
that which is on the other hand
genuine, you are interested in poetry.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
some of my favorite poetry comes from songs, like:
"I got one foot one the platform,
the other foot on a train,
I'm going back to New Orleans
to wear that ball and chain."
from House of the Rising Sun

otherwise I enjoy Edgar Allan Poe, Fernando Pessoa and his pseudonyms, Robert Frost, Vinicius de Morães, among others. (and my own poetry)