Do you prefer to learn American or British English? Why?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Leandrocs,

I have no suggested improvements. Very nicely done.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Well, I'd love to understand BrE, but I can barely understand what a Brit speaks. Sometimes I panick when I have to call someone from UK or answer the phone (and it's a Brit), and I have to do so at my job. I learned American English and whenever I talk to a English person they say my accent is a bit American. That's okay. I am really trying hard to 'learn' how to sound more British. Because all Native speakers I have to talk to is from UK or Europe, where they learn BrE.

Does it make sense? I hope so...
Ravenna.
Ravenna escreveu:Well, I'd love to understand BrE, but I can barely understand what a Brit speaks. Sometimes I panick when I have to call someone from UK or answer the phone (and it's a Brit), and I have to do so at my job. I learned American English and whenever I talk to a English person they say my accent is a bit American. That's okay. I am really trying hard to 'learn' how to sound more British. Because all Native speakers I have to talk to is from UK or Europe, where they learn BrE.

Does it make sense? I hope so...
Ravenna.

Ravenna,

Over the years I have had the opportunity to talk to many British subjects, and it has been my experience that, with the exception of a few words with different meanings, the difference in accents is not a major problem in communication. In my opinion the most important factors for effective communication are: using proper grammar, construction, and pronunciation, therefore a slight accent is not normally a factor. Since you are a native of Brazil you will probably have a predominantly Braizilian accent for quite some time. With that being said, I would like to offer a rewrite of your post for your consideration, it is in American English. ;)

"I'd love to understand British English, but I can barely understand what an Englishman says. Sometimes I panic when I have to call someone from the UK or answer the phone at work and an Englishman is on the other end. I originally learned American English and when I talk to a British subject, they say I have a bit of an American accent. I am trying very hard to learn how to sound more British, because most of the people I have to talk to in English use the British version."

I hope this helps you, please let me know.
I like both, but I prefer to learn american english because all the movies, tv shows and musics I watch and listen to are from the USA. but I think it's important to have contact with british english, in case you have to speak with someone from england.

Israel_Ribeiro escreveu:Sorry London, sorry Oxford, but I love american English. I'm just fascinated! :)
But I gotta say, after I started watching Family Guy and saw the pronunciation of Stewie Griffinn, I started liking British English too.

However... America rules! Hahaha!

See you guys! \Õ

Yeah! Stewie's accent is awesome :D, by the way family guy's new season comes out tomorrow :D Can't wait for it ;)
Ohoo what a nice topic :)

But actually I love British English. I dont know the why... but i have serious problems with American Englisn.
And my girlfriend is from Hungarian... another reason to learn British one ;) accent and the slowly form to speak words of Britishes are the biggest cause. :) BE in mind :P

PS: I'm new here :)
Otavio,

I would like to offer a few suggestions to your post.

American, British, England and English should be capitalized, music is both singular and plural so musics is incorrect.

Also the first sentence in your signature line should read "If I write something that is wrong, please let me know." However an even better way to say what you mean would be "Please let me know if my grammar or spelling is incorrect."

Please let me know if you understand the subtleties of why I suggested these changes.

To improve your vocabulary look up:
Subtleties
American English! Because it's relaxing and spontaneous!
Flavia Gabriela,

Very nicely and correctly written. However I think some of the students may not agree with what you wrote. ;) :lol:
Thank you very much Mr. slayman! and Flavia, I agree with you, American English seems more relaxing and spontaneous :D
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
I surely prefer American English because that's variation in which I irrefragably have more contact (obviously). And its pronunciation is quite easier for me than British English pronunciation, because of the 1st reason.

I don't know, but there's something in BrE (let's shrink) that souds weird to me (but I have to confess that Morissey is making my mind about it. hahahaha).

But here's the deal: even prefering (?) AmE, one of my dreams is to travel around the Europe, so... I should prefer BrE.
Am I going to have problems with that? I mean, with the fact that I think BrE weird? hahaha

Cya :)