Do you prefer to learn American or British English? Why?

American English certainly, because it's more simple and economic in all aspects, using several abreviations, even though its huge quantity of slangs and another informal expressions.
Besides, I'm used to the american pronunciation since I was 9 (now I'm 19) and I really hate the politeness of BrE.
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
Cinnamon 16 60 498
Definetly British English! :ugeek:
However I speak an American accent.
I'll explain it... My whole life I'v been told American English is better than British due to the fact that the former is spread all over the world. American English rules! And so on...
I think British accent is clever, ellegant, posh, lovely (last two adjectives very British). :mrgreen:
Intonation is very diffent too, the melody of the language is beautifully structured. As for vocabulary there are some differences but someone fluent in English can bridge the gap between the two types (actually there are more than two), it is a matter of paying attention and to be sure to keep on learning...
A few years ago I found out I can't stop speaking American English because I learned the language in a typical Americam way. The songs I learned to play in my accoustic guitar could be European in some cases, but even though I sang them with a slightly American accent (mixed up with Portuguese interference - Thank God my accent is getting better day by day). Nowadays I don't try to speak with an English accent anymore. I really like my accent too. All I know about UK is part of their culture, vocabulary and some rules. If I pretend to speak British English I'll be easlily, quickly unmasked.

Have a whale of a time folks (that's is really old-fashioned)... :lol:
I prefer to learn American English, because it is more useful on tecnology
I really do prefer the American English. I always had the impression that british english was easier to understand and sometimes to speak. I think the reason is (should I use "that" here?) the british pronounce have some words that doesn't demand too much effort from portuguese speakers when we compare to american english.

Like the word "WATER". British version sounds easier to say and, sometimes, to understand.

This year I had the 2 experiences. I went to USA then to London. And I confess: My London visit frustrated me. Haha. Especially about my listening skills. Just about that, actually. London is one of the most incredible place i've ever been. Anyway, England REALLY tested my english. I couldn't understand almost nothing of what people talk to me. Their accent is REALLY strong (again, am I saying this right?) and, of course, some words are different from the english we are used to.

Ok, I know that I was too long. But thats why I have 3 weeks to prepare to TOEFL test and I really have to practice my writing which is my principal weakness (can I say that?).

This is my first time at forum so this is kinda hard to me yet (again: this 'yet' sounds weird to me). haha
PLEASE, review my text so I'll know where I should to get my attention on.
Thank you very much!

Have a nice day, guys!
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
At your request, Nathália.

I always had the impression that British English was easier to understand and sometimes to speak. I think the reason is (should I use "that" here? - a comma could go after ''is" or you could use "is that" - without comma) the British pronounce have has some words that doesn't demand too much effort from Portuguese speakers when we compared to the American English.

Like the word "WATER". The British version sounds easier to say and, sometimes, to understand.

I went to the USA then to London. Just about that Actually, it was my only frustration. London is one of the most incredible place I've ever been. Anyway, England REALLY tested my English. I couldn't understand almost nothing of what people talked to me. Their accent is REALLY strong (again, am I saying this right? -Yes, you can say that.) and, of course, some words are different from the English we are used to.

I am going to redo the "That´s why" part.

...But it´s because I have 3 weeks to get myself prepared to the TOEFL test and I really have to practice my writing, which is my principal weakness (can I say that? - Yes, you can.)

This is my first time at (the/this) forum, so this is still kinda hard to me (again: this 'yet' sounds weird to me - your instincts are sharp, trust them). haha

I tried to leave it more TOEFL-oriented, I didn´t mean to be nitpicking your text. Believe me, still friends? :P

Have a nice day you too!
Paulo,

Thank you VERY MUCH!
I really need this kind of help! Study by our own is very hard sometimes.

Is so good to have a feedback, so I don't feel so alone in my journey.
Ah, and thanks for aswer me so fast (:

Have a good night!
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
I study American English. However, I'd like to learn British English because I want to visit Ireland someday!
I'd prefer British english accent! Sounds "easier to get", unfortunately we are surrounded by American English. Americans love slang, I think it's so hard to understand, anyway American English is my first choice.
I prefer british English, it is more cultural and simple. Rarely they use slangs and contractions. I often talk to british speakers and I do not have any problems. When I talk to American speakers, many times I do not understand some words.
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
You are welcome, Nathália. Not only you, all of the fellow learners that are genuinely interested in English. I know how is that to study by our own, as you mentioned. That´s why this and other sites with English online is so important to train, to communicate and have some feedback.
Sorry for having answered so late, anyway I think it´s better late than never! :P
Good luck with your studies.
I prefer american english, because, I guess is more easier than british english, and is more practicable!
POWER QUESTIONS
O professor das celebridades Daniel Bonatti ensina várias técnicas para você ter conversas melhores mesmo com conhecimentos básicos de inglês. Com as power questions você vai aprender a direcionar a conversa para onde quiser e com isso alcançar seus objetivos na comunicação. ACESSAR AULA
I prefer American English because I used more but I would like learn both.
I prefer to learn the American English, because is informal. I think more easy to speak too.
I prefer American English because I think it's easier to speak.
Leonardo96 19 293
I prefer the american one. I think it's much easier to develop good listening skills because it's easier to understand (to me), so choosing to learn american english rather than the british one was an easy call for me... and to be honest, I kind of dislike british accent, so I try to avoid listening to it as much as possible. :lol:
I prefer American English, because it was the first I started learning, but I learned a few of British too.
POWER QUESTIONS
Well, I'd rather American English because I'm used to it. However, I really think British English is very polite and beautiful, but I'm not able to understand when speaking with a British. For me, the most difficult is when it comes to British accent.
I would rather learn American English because the american accent is easier to understand. Maybe it is because I'm used to listening american english every day. However, the british accent is very beautiful.
I prefer American english, because it's easier to understand, and i can find more movies and series in American english than in British english, so it can be more useful if i train my skills to understand movies and songs that i watch/listen most. Though i like british accent, it's difficult to me to understand, but i also study british english sometimes, cuz it's important to study both ones.
They are almost the same. But the accent of the British one sounds better.
Rodrigo Duhau escreveu:They are almost the same. But the accent of the British one sounds better.
I agree, it's almost the same, but people think american english is easier cause we see and hear everywhere.
Since the person doesn't have a strong accent or talk slangs, I have no preference at all.
POWER QUESTIONS
I prefer learn American English because I think the pronunciation of the American more beautiful tha British English.
I prefer to learn American English.
OEstudantedeIngles 2 16 113
In my opinion, American English is much easier to understand and the pronunciation is clearer.
I don't fancy the British accent hehe ;)
I prefer British English because I consider the pronunciation more easy than American English .
I prefer American English, because I want to go to the USA someday.
But my biggest dream is live in Canada, and I think the American English is used for there.
POWER QUESTIONS
I think is important study the both because you never know what's ahead. Each has its importance.
I think Britsh English is good for study listening because It has the pronunciation more slow and the American English has the pronunciation very fast and It has more slangs and abbreviations. But I think American English more cool, I prefer It. But in order to be easier, British English does.