Do you prefer to learn American or British English? Why?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
laryro escreveu:I surely prefer American English because that's variation in which I irrefragably have more contact (obviously). And its pronunciation is quite easier for me than British English pronunciation, because of the 1st reason.

I don't know, but there's something in BrE (let's shrink) that souds weird to me (but I have to confess that Morissey is making my mind about it. hahahaha).

But here's the deal: even prefering (?) AmE, one of my dreams is to travel around the Europe, so... I should prefer BrE.
Am I going to have problems with that? I mean, with the fact that I think BrE weird? hahaha

Cya :)

Laryssa,

Please see my reply to Ravenna, near the top of page 2 of this topic, with reference to having trouble with British English. Then please consider the changes I made to your post in this rewrite, and let me know what you think of it.

"I surely prefer American English because that's the variation which I irrefutably have had more contact with. Its pronunciation is quite easier for me than British English, which is due to having more contact with American English.

I don't know why, but there's something in British English that sounds weird to me, however I must confess that Morissey is helping me make my mind up about it.

I have a concern, eventhough I prefer American English, one of my dreams is to travel around Europe, and I am worried that I may have problems while in Europe since I learned American English and think British English is weird."

I hope that this posting and any future postings help you better understand English.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Hey, Bill.

I saw your reply to Ravenna, it was very well explained.

As I'm forced to study English by myself, my knowledge is based in what I watch, listen and read, using Google Translator, and wonderful sources like this site and sometimes asking my friends and my teacher in high school. It's working fine untill now, but think it's not enough and, unfortunately, there's nothing I can do at this moment to change this situation, because I'm a teenager and I cannot get a job.

However, thank you again. And believe me, you're helping a lot everyone here. :D
laryro escreveu:Hey, Bill.

I saw your reply to Ravenna, it was very well explained.

As I'm forced to study English by myself, my knowledge is based in what I watch, listen and read, using Google Translator, and wonderful sources like this site and sometimes asking my friends and my teacher in high school. It's working fine untill now, but think it's not enough and, unfortunately, there's nothing I can do at this moment to change this situation, because I'm a teenager and I cannot get a job.

However, thank you again. And believe me, you're helping a lot everyone here. :D

Laryssa,

Just one suggestion this time: Your last sentence should read:

"And believe me, you're helping everyone here a lot."

Otherwise very nicely done.
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2175 7 53
I prefer to learn American English. In my opinion, it sounds better and has a better accent.
British English, of course!

Specially from the north of England (and Scotland too, hehe). That it's included slangs, obscene words, cultural aspects, intonation, accent, grammatical style... whatever!
Avatar do usuário DHST 680 1 2 12
I want to learn both! Because for me it doesn't matter if it is AmE or BrE, I like the English language in general, every little thing from both varieties, I know this is crazy, but I don't care if I get "a little bit" confused by them! :D
I prefer the american english just because I know better the accent and it's the most popular english.
Both, because the language english is speaked for differents people around the word
and the limitation isn´t well.
Exist brazilian english, chineses english, american english, british english.....so many other manner
of speak english. It´s important knows the max ...

ta ta for now
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
greyce escreveu:Both, because the language english is speaked for differents people around the word
and the limitation isn´t well.
Exist brazilian english, chineses english, american english, british english.....so many other manner
of speak english. It´s important knows the max ...

ta ta for now

If I may rewrite it...

Both, because the English language is spoken by many different people around the world and this limitation isn't good.
There are Brazilian, Chinese, American, British, and many other ways of speaking English. It's important to know the maximum of these "Englishs".

Bye for now
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
I don't have any preference about this. I like both. In thuth, I don't no what's the real difference between American and British English. I think the pronounce and grammar are a little bit different. Is it something more?