English for my 6 months son

Want my 6 months son to speak english as his first lunguage. Does anyone know a school who immerses the kids in the lunguage. Im graduated in a private school in Brazil and study english by my own at present. Maybe I could do it by my own but I need some tips, could somebory help me?

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
11 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
  Resposta mais votada
4 12 30
If I may make a suggestion. I am American living in Rio. I have 6-year-old. He goes to school at a Brazilian school where all his input is in Portuguese. His friends are Brazilian, his mother is Brazilian, but I speak to my son exclusively in English. He visits the U.S. to see the American side of his family at least once a year. Most of the television he watches is in English. He is fluent in both English and Portuguese, but Portuguese is his first language, it's his strongest language. I'll quote him:

Me: "Ok, Mic, I want you to tell me a Pokémon story now."
Mic: "Papai, can I tell it in Portuguese?"

Moral of this story, and then my suggestion: Unless your child is getting an extremely enormous amount of input in both languages, he will most likely be truly fluent and native-like in only one of them. In my case, even with all the exposure he gets in English, his default language is Portuguese. This would most likely change if I put him in an all-English speaking school.

However, in your case, your child is barely speaking at all! But the key is exposure. The more you can expose your child to English at his age, the better. Peppa Pig, Discovery kids, the Kratt Brothers, Frozen, every movie and tv show you possibly can get in English. But unless he actually produces and interacts in the language on a regular basis, he will not be able to speak it that well. Comprehension will be great, but production will be lacking. But it doesn't hurt to expose your child to as much input in English as you can. Until he starts going to school (an all-English or bilingual one), let him watch all his favorite shows in English!

By the way, it takes YEARS for a child to develop native-like fluency in any language, so this is not an overnight project!

Good luck!

Josh
APRESENTAÇÃO PESSOAL EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, a professora Camila Oliveira ensina como você deve se preparar para fazer uma apresentação pessoal profissional em inglês. O conteúdo dessa aula ajudará você a aproveitar melhor as oportunidades no ambiente corporativo. ACESSAR AULA
2 25
I believe your best option is to enroll your son in the American, British, or International School of your city, although I don't think they'll accept a kid under 3 or 4.
6 49 1.3k
I want my 6 months son speaking English as his first language. Does anyone know a school who immerses the kids in the language? I graduated in a private school in Brazil and have been studying English on my own as of now.

a)Maybe I myself could teach him but I need some tips, could somebody help me?

b)Maybe I myself could find such immersion but with your tips it won´t take that long, could somebody help me?

As I got in two minds about the last part, I reply with the two above options.
Yeah regular english schools in my town will only accept kids up 6. Do you think it makes any difference to talk in english with a 7 months kid or doenst matter which lunguage are you talking to him/her at this age becouse they are too Young. Do you know from which age a kid stars really listening and understanding what is being said around him or her?
6 49 1.3k
I don´t think that at this tender age would be a worry wether to immerse him on English or not. As you said, expressions are the language of choice to understand the world at this age. To worry about teaching him a new language could be confusing.
Too early to think of it now, other more pressing things, breastfeeding, a healthy eating, his/her health itself, parental love and play (including interacting with others kids), etc.
In the meantime, you can train your own English to better help him/her out in the future. ;)
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Now, he's 1, lol. Well the thing is, my dream is to hear him speaking english like a Norh American right? Lets imagine him at 6 years old right? I want to see him talking like a native american 6-year-old boy. Is that possible?
6 49 1.3k
Then you woul have to home-educate him, but then, you had to be fluent. That´s more, you would have to talk to him in that childlike way. The only one way, would be to have a native kid, perhaps their parents, family etc around.
Just like happens with the learning of Portuguese.
That´s more, kids forget as easy as they learn, this way when I lived in Natal, my younger child talked the "local" accent, then in Joao Pessoa same thing. In Rio they switched made friends with people here and their accent is very different, even if they wanted, it would be a little difficult to talk in the former "accents".

Perhaps it´s about time to review some concepts...do you ever have considered that maybe you are transferring your dream (your own dream of speaking English, and speaking well) onto your child? Let kids be kids, eh?
Yeah, I want to transfer my dream to him.
6 49 1.3k
Then go for it. I hope you both are succesful, but right now it would have to be in that terms I have pointed out.
4 19 70
Olá pessoal,

Aqui na minha cidade há um escola bi-lingue onde crianças à apartir de 5 anos são inseridas em um contexto onde ambas as línguas (Inglês/Português) são utilizadadas no processo de alfabetização. Contudo a mensalidade é carissíma, algo próximo a cursos universitários.

Antes de você tomar alguma decisão mais concreta do que fazer, aconselho a pesquisar bastante. Segue aqui alguns pontos interessantes que encontrei em um artigo:

Linguagem é um elemento de relacionamento humano e todos desenvolvem proficiência em línguas estrangeiras mais através de acquisition (desenvolvimento de habilidades através de assimilação natural, intuitiva, inconsciente, em ambientes de interação humana) do que de learning (estudo formal - memorizar informações e transformá-las em conhecimento através de esforço intelectual), especialmente crianças. Portanto, línguas não podem ser ensinadas, mas serão aprendidas se houver o ambiente apropriado.
Crianças assimilam línguas com mais facilidade, porém têm grande resistência ao aprendizado formal, artificial e dirigido. As crianças, mais do que os adultos, precisam e se beneficiam de contato humano para desenvolver suas habilidades linguísticas. Entretanto, se perceberem que a pessoa que deles se aproxima fala a língua materna, dificilmente se submeterão à difícil e frustrante artificialidade de usar outro meio de comunicação. Elas só procuram assimilar e fazer uso da língua estrangeira em situações de autêntica necessidade, desenvolvendo sua habilidade e construindo seu próprio aprendizado a partir de situações reais de interação em ambiente da língua e da cultura estrangeira. Portanto, a autenticidade do ambiente, principalmente na pessoa do facilitador, é mais importante do que o caráter das atividades (lúdicas ou não), e ambos são mais importantes do que qualquer planificação didática predeterminada.
Ou seja, é muito mais fácil para uma criança adiquirir uma língua do que aprendê-la de modo formal. Seria uma questão de imersão.

Existe uma idade crítica (12 a 14 anos), a partir da qual o ser humano gradativamente perde a capacidade de assimilar línguas ao nível de língua materna. Essa perda é mais perceptível na pronúncia. Até os 12 ou 14 anos de idade, a criança que tiver contato suficiente com o idioma, o assimilará de forma tão completa quanto a língua materna.
Como você pode ver, não precisa ter tanta pressa para decidir o que fazer, uma vez que seu filho ainda tem um ano de idade.
No nosso caso (brasileiros que vivem no Brasil), onde ambientes autênticos de língua e cultura estrangeira são raros, decisões a respeito do aprendizado de inglês de crianças devem ser baseadas menos na idade e mais na oportunidade. De nada adiantará colocar a criança cedo em contato com uma língua estrangeira se o modelo oferecido for caracterizado por desvios e ausência dos respectivos valores culturais – é melhor esperar por uma oportunidade melhor.

Esse acredito ser o ponto mais importante, já que a criança necessita que contextos autênticos para que a mesma adquira a língua de forma natural e que assim possa ser considerada sua língua materna.

Segue alguns links onde você poderá aprofundar na questão do apredizado e aquisição de línguas em relação a crianças:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/br/lp/kul/dub/ ... 142444.htm

http://pepsic.bvsalud.org/scielo.php?pi ... ci_arttext

Este foi de onde retirei os fragmentos: http://www.sk.com.br/sk-apre2.html

That's it.
Take care!
TESTE DE NÍVEL
My baby daughter is coming next month, and I already have a material in English to teach her when she gets a little bit older, thanks for your advice!