Ensinar inglês Americano e Britânico ao mesmo tempo

Ao ensinar inglês, eu costumo misturar sotaques. Isso devido ao fato de que me formei pela Cultura Inglesa e morei na Irlanda. Mas quando voltei ao Brasil dei aulas em uma escola de línguas com inglês americano.
Na maioria das vezes eu mostro a diferença de pronúncia nas duas línguas.
Isso pode deixar o aluno confuso?

MELHORE SUA PRONÚNCIA EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Adir Ferreira, autor do livro "A Chave do Aprendizado da Língua Inglesa", nos conta como se tornou um Expert em pronúncia e dá várias dicas para você se comunicar melhor em inglês. ACESSAR AULA
6 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
PPAULO 6 49 1.3k
I think it depends on the level of the student, of his (now and in the near future) exposure to both accents etc.
For instance, if the guy/gal is interested in watching the BBC News why not to teach him some specific language points, since he will be in contact with British English when he turn on his cable TV at home.
On the other hand you are paid to teach your pupils the American English, so do it as best as you can, or else you are quickly going to be in a dilemma.
Teach American English, and to the ones that are doing well and asking you for the British pronounces, culture, places etc you can do in a one for one basis.
Don´t get straight to the "bilingual" way, they might get confused when the test are placed into their desks and the blame game will begin...!
Other way out of this would be to seek an English school that favour the British accent, Cultura Inglesa for instance. Must have others, "Cultura" was just an example.

Or you can try explainning both ways, then see the end result. If they learn well, why not?
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Complemento:
Na maioria das vezes eu mostro a diferença de pronúncia nas duas línguas.
Isso pode deixar o aluno confuso?
Sim, às vezes pode fazer com que o aluno não aprenda nem uma, nem outra pronúncia. Mostrar as duas formas de se pronunciar palavras é algo muito interessante, mas que não deve ser feito sempre. Tente fazer isso, só de vez em quando, realmente no momento que for muito importante e acrescentar conteúdo à aula.

Você deveria optar por um sotaque, AmE ou BrE, e focar nele. E, quando oportuno, dizer as duas formas. Mas, não fazer sempre. Pois pode realmente causar confusão, principalmente aos iniciantes.

Boa sorte!
jlcashill 4 12 30
If I could put in my two cents, stick with one accent, the accent you, as a teacher, are most comfortable with.

Depending on their level of English, let them suffer later with new accents than sooner. Let them get the confidence necessary to push through those kinds of challenges, and then introduce them slowly to the MANY different English accents through audio and video. I let my students talk to my parents in New Jersey. My dad has a Newark accent and my mom a southern Virginia accent!

Don't forget that there are TONS of different, and relevant, English accents. Here are just a few that might present some interesting pronunciation problems:

American Standard
American south
African American Vernacular (Black English)
Boston
Wisconsin
Canadian
British Standard
Liverpudlian
Scottish
Irish / (Northern Irish)
South African
Australian
New Zealand
Indian (from India)

Which to choose from?

Josh
Sra_Tradutora 6 77
jlcashill escreveu:Don't forget that there are TONS of different, and relevant, English accents. Here are just a few that might present some interesting pronunciation problems:

[...]

Canadian
A Canadian accent? I think the U.S. and Canada speak what is called North American English. While there are a few differences in spelling and vocabulary in both countries, according to my experience and this Wikipedia article, there is a mix of accents in both countries, and no single U.S. or Canadian accent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English

But to stay on topic...
Depending on their level of English, let them suffer later with new accents than sooner. Let them get the confidence necessary to push through those kinds of challenges, and then introduce them slowly to the MANY different English accents through audio and video.
I agree with this.
jlcashill 4 12 30
I think you miss my point, Mrs. Translator, and prove it at the same time. Of course there are a few "différences", as you say, and there are many accents in both countries. That's kind of MY point. They are all grouped under one banner, but I'm sure there is the Toronto flavor of English and the "Danger Bay" variety, not to mention the "Strange Brew" version of Canadian English that has brought such joy to so many Americans, including myself. I suggest you watch it. It's a classic.

If you feel you have to teach Brazilian learners of English in a Canadian accent, that's fine. Stick to that. But just make sure that when they say "out" like "oot" and "house" like "hoose", they might cause Americans to giggle! It's a cultural thang.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Sra_Tradutora 6 77
jlcashill escreveu:you have to teach Brazilian learners of English in a Canadian accent, that's fine.
But I don't, because I don't think there is such a thing. And I'm not the one who brought it up.
But just make sure that when they say "out" like "oot" and "house" like "hoose", they might cause Americans to giggle! It's a cultural thang.
No, it's not a cultural thing. We don't say that. Or maybe they say it in the Maritimes somewhere.